Air Velocity vs generated Pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the pressure and force exerted on a plate when wind is blowing at a velocity of 80 mph against a 2" X 2" plate. One person suggests using the Bernoulli Equation to find the pressure, which can then be used to calculate the force on the plate by multiplying it by the surface area. However, another person corrects them by stating that force is equal to pressure times area, not pressure divided by area. The conversation ends with a grateful response for the clarification.
Farid
I have a simple question, can anyone please help. It goes something like this:
if wind is blowing at a velocity of 80 mph against a 2" X 2" plate, how much pressure (or force) is brought upon the plate?
would appreciate the formula, if any.
Thank you.

Farid

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like homework. Do you have any idea how you might find the answer?

Hi Russ,
No, it is not really homework. It is my project at work. However, the surface is area is more complex than I proposed above (2"x2"). Once I know, what method to use, then I can plug in the real "area".
I was going to find Pressure from the Bernoulie Eq. :
dynamic pressure = q= (roh*V^2)/2 or, q=.000256*V^2 [psf]
Once I know the pressure, then I can find the F=p/a, that my surface will be subjected to.
Right?

Farid

You are correct. A flat plate in a uniform airstream essentially converts all velocity pressure to static pressure via Bernoulli's eq.

Thank you.

Farid

Once I know the pressure, then I can find the F=p/a, that my surface will be subjected to.
Right?

NO, Force does not equal Pressure divided by Area. Force is equal to Pressure times Area.

P = F/A which gives F = P*A

CS

D'oh. Missed that, thanks.

1. What is the relationship between air velocity and generated pressure?

The relationship between air velocity and generated pressure is directly proportional. This means that as air velocity increases, the generated pressure also increases. Similarly, as air velocity decreases, the generated pressure decreases.

2. How does air velocity affect the pressure of a gas?

Air velocity affects the pressure of a gas by creating a force that pushes against the walls of a container. This force, known as air pressure, increases as the velocity of the air increases. It is this generated pressure that can have an impact on the surrounding environment and objects.

3. Is there a specific formula to calculate air velocity vs generated pressure?

Yes, the formula to calculate air velocity vs generated pressure is as follows: P = ½ρv2, where P is the generated pressure, ρ is the density of the air, and v is the air velocity. This formula is known as the Bernoulli's equation and is commonly used in fluid dynamics.

4. How does temperature affect the relationship between air velocity and generated pressure?

Temperature does not have a direct effect on the relationship between air velocity and generated pressure. However, it can indirectly affect the density of the air, which is a factor in the Bernoulli's equation. As temperature increases, the density of the air decreases, resulting in a decrease in generated pressure for a given air velocity.

5. Can air velocity and generated pressure be controlled?

Yes, air velocity and generated pressure can be controlled through various methods such as adjusting the size of the opening or nozzle through which the air is flowing, changing the speed of the air source, or altering the shape of the object causing the air flow. These methods can be used to manipulate the relationship between air velocity and generated pressure for different purposes and applications.