Solve 6-Month CD Yield Problem for Bank: USD 3M at 3.50% p.a.

• Thread starter Andersxman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Yield
In summary, you can use the formula P = F/(1+Y*d/360) to calculate the price of the CD that the bank can issue in this scenario.
Andersxman

Homework Statement

Assume that a bank wanted to issue a CD with a total face amount of USD 3,000,000 for 6 months (181 days). The coupon rate that the bank wanted to pay was 3.50% p.a.

Currently the market is only demanding a 3.25% p.a. yield on a money market basis for 6-month CDs issued by comparable (credit rating and name recognition) banks. What is the price of the CD that the bank can issue? Input your answer correct to two decimal places.

Anyone able to help me with a method for calculating this?

So my confusion has everything to do with "P" - I am trying to find out what P is, and I need P to do that(?)

Anyone?

Homework Equations

Apparantly, the "formula" is something like this:

Y = (R/I -1) * 360/d

Y = annualized yield of the investment on a money market basis
R = Proceeds from the investment
I = initial investment amount (But this is what I don't get - in my material it is stated that the I is "initial investment amount * P", and P is the price.. Also, P is the solution to the question..

The Attempt at a Solution

Y = 3000000 X (1+(0.035*(181/360)) = 3.052.791,667

3.052.791,667 / 3000000 = 1,017597222
1,017597222 - 1 = 0,017597222
0,017597222 X (360/181) = 0,035

The problem is that "I" (the initial investment amount) in this formula needs to be the amount that will make the CD yield exactly 3,25%.

The answer must be that the CD will be sold for more than the 3000000, but I cannot figure out how much more.. Anyone?

I would really appreciate some help on this, I have been staring at it for a while.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!

Hi there,

To calculate the price of the CD, you can use the following formula:

P = F/(1+Y*d/360)

Where:
P = price of the CD
F = face amount of the CD (in this case, $3,000,000)
Y = annualized yield on a money market basis (in this case, 3.25%)
d = number of days in the term (in this case, 181)

So, in this case, P = 3000000/(1+0.0325*181/360) = $2,961,165.05

This means that the bank can issue the CD for $2,961,165.05 in order to pay a coupon rate of 3.50% and still achieve a yield of 3.25% on a money market basis. This is because the market is currently only demanding a 3.25% yield, so the bank can issue the CD at a lower price and still attract investors.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

What is a 6-Month CD Yield?

A 6-Month CD Yield is the annual percentage rate (APR) of return on a certificate of deposit (CD) that has a maturity period of 6 months. It is a type of savings account offered by banks and financial institutions, where the customer deposits a fixed amount of money for a fixed period of time and earns interest on it.

How is the 6-Month CD Yield calculated?

The 6-Month CD Yield is calculated by taking into account the principal amount deposited, the interest rate, and the time period of 6 months. The formula for calculating CD Yield is: CD Yield = (Principal x Interest Rate x Time Period)/ 365. For example, if the principal amount is USD 3M, the interest rate is 3.50% p.a., and the time period is 6 months, the CD Yield would be (3,000,000 x 0.035 x 6/365) = USD 17,808.22.

Which bank offers a 6-Month CD Yield of 3.50% p.a. for USD 3M?

As a scientist, I do not have access to current bank rates. However, you can check with different banks and financial institutions to find out which one offers a 6-Month CD Yield of 3.50% p.a. for USD 3M. It is recommended to compare rates from multiple banks before making a decision.

What is the benefit of investing in a 6-Month CD with a 3.50% p.a. yield?

The main benefit of investing in a 6-Month CD with a 3.50% p.a. yield is that it offers a higher interest rate compared to a traditional savings account. This means you can earn more money on your investment in a shorter period of time. Additionally, CDs are considered low-risk investments, making them a safe option for those looking to save money.

Can I withdraw my money before the 6-month maturity period?

Yes, you can withdraw your money before the 6-month maturity period, but it may come with a penalty fee. Most banks charge an early withdrawal penalty, which is a percentage of the interest earned on the CD or a certain number of days' worth of interest. It is important to carefully consider the terms and conditions before investing in a 6-Month CD.