Grad School (Phys) Advice

In summary, the individual is a physics major with minors in mathematics and biology. Their GPA is approximately 3.5 and their GRE scores are 550 in verbal and 720 in quantitative, with disappointment in the latter. They attend a small, regional university and have not yet received their Physics GRE score. They have research experience at Berkeley and strong recommendation letters. They are overwhelmed in choosing grad schools to apply to and are hesitant about schools that require the Physics GRE. They are interested in theory and prefer to stay in the southern region. They are unsure about their chances of acceptance and are seeking advice on specific schools and how many to apply to. Their transcript shows mostly A grades, with a 4.5 on the writing portion of the
coffeeman
Hello, I'm hoping that some of you can help me out a bit.

I will be applying to physics grad schools (for PhD) in the coming weeks, and I basically have no idea where I stand.

I am a physics major with minors in mathematics & biology.

GPA: ~3.5
GRE: Verbal - 550 (73%) Quant - 720 (77%) I was pretty disappointed in the Quant. score.
Phys GPA: 4.0

I go to a small, regional university that no one's ever heard of. I haven't received my Physics GRE score yet, but I did terrible on it. One of my professors told me not to take it, so I never studied, and ended up realizing at the last minute that I needed to take the test. I answered a whopping 57 questions, and probably made 'informed' guesses on half of them. I was also at a bit of a disadvantage due to the fact that I had not had Quantum when I took the test (it is only offered once every 3 semesters at my school, and covers ~ 20% of the test).

I did a research internship thing at Berkeley last summer, which is my sole research experience.

I will have very strong recomendation letters.

Anyway, I am feeling overwhelmed at picking schools to apply to... I'm pretty hesitant to apply to any school which requires the physics GRE test, due to my stunningly poor performance on it.

I'm not exactly trying to get into the elite schools; I just want to go somewhere where I'll be around people who want to do physics & learn. I am from the southern US, and would prefer to stay in the general region. I have no idea which field of physics I ultimately wish to go into, but I am more interested in theory than experimental physics.

Do my stats (for lack of a better word) have any chance of getting accepted anywhere? I don't even know the tier of schools I should apply to...my family is uneducated and can't really offer advice, and my professors don't seem to be helping much.

What about these schools?

Auburn
Clemson
Georgia
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
William & Mary
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech
Tennessee
Sunny Brook (in New York)
NC State
UNC - Chapel Hill
Ohio State
Connecticut
West Virginia

I would love to hear any feedback anyone can offer, provided it's not purely speculation. Don't worry about hurting my feelings; I'd rather be told here that I'm S.O.L., as opposed to spending hundreds of dollars applying everywhere.

Also, are there any recs for schools I may have a finite chance of getting into?

Finally, how many schools does one generally apply to? I have a decent buffer on my credit card, so I think I can afford to apply at quite a few places.

Thanks; I have to figure all this crap out in the next coupla weeks, and I'm feeling very overwhelmed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
P.S. I got a 4.5 on the Writing part of general GRE; I think I got robbed on that one. My buddy, who is borderline idiot-savant, got a 4.0.

4.5 is 54%.

Edit: If it matters, this is what my transcript will show:

Calc I: A
Calc II: A
Calc III: A
Linear Algebra: A
Ordinary Differential Equations: A
Complex Variables: A
Real Analysis I: A
Real Analysis II: spring

Intro Phys I: A
Intro Phys II: A
Optics: A
E+M: A
Mechanics: A
Computational Physics: A
Ind. Study (continuation of E+M): A
Kinetic/Stat Phys: A
Atomic/Nuclear: A
Quantum: spring
Ind Study (more Computational Phys.): spring

Last edited:

Dear aspiring physics grad student,

First of all, congratulations on your decision to pursue a PhD in physics! It's a challenging and rewarding path, and I wish you the best of luck in your application process.

Now, let's address some of your concerns. Your GPA and physics GPA are both solid, which is a good start. However, your GRE scores may be a bit on the lower side for competitive PhD programs. The verbal score is not as important for physics programs, but the quant score is definitely something to work on. I would recommend retaking the Physics GRE if possible, as it is an important factor in admissions for many programs.

Your research experience at Berkeley is definitely a plus, and it's great that you have strong recommendation letters. These are both important factors in the admissions process, and can help make up for any weaker areas in your application.

In terms of the schools you have listed, they all have strong physics programs and are worth considering. However, it's difficult to say which ones you may have a better chance of getting into without knowing more about their specific admissions criteria and the strength of your application compared to other applicants. It's always a good idea to have a mix of reach, match, and safety schools when applying to grad programs.

As for the number of schools to apply to, it really depends on your personal preference and financial situation. Some people apply to only a handful of schools, while others apply to a dozen or more. It's important to remember that each application comes with a fee, so make sure to budget accordingly.

In terms of advice, I would recommend reaching out to professors or current grad students at the schools you are interested in to get a better sense of their programs and their admissions process. They may also be able to offer more specific advice on your chances of getting in. Additionally, try to focus on your strengths, such as your research experience and strong recommendation letters, and highlight those in your application.

Overall, don't be discouraged by your GRE scores or your undergraduate institution. Admissions committees look at the whole package, and your passion for physics and desire to learn will also play a role in their decision. Good luck with your applications and your future studies in physics!

What is the typical application process for grad school in physics?

The application process for grad school in physics varies depending on the university and program. Generally, it involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some programs may also require a writing sample or research proposal. It is important to check the specific requirements for each program you are applying to.

What can I do to strengthen my application for grad school in physics?

There are several things you can do to strengthen your grad school application in physics. These include obtaining strong letters of recommendation, gaining research experience (if possible), taking challenging courses in physics and related subjects, and achieving high scores on standardized tests. Additionally, having a clear and well-written personal statement that outlines your interests and goals in physics can also make your application stand out.

What is the job market like for physics graduates with a graduate degree?

The job market for physics graduates with a graduate degree is generally very good. Many graduates go on to work in research and development positions in academia, government agencies, or private companies. Others pursue careers in teaching, consulting, or other fields that utilize their analytical and problem-solving skills. However, it is important to note that the job market can vary depending on the specific subfield of physics and the current economic climate.

What advice do you have for managing the workload and stress of grad school in physics?

Grad school in physics can be demanding and stressful, but there are things you can do to manage the workload and stress. It is important to prioritize your tasks and manage your time effectively. This may involve creating a schedule and setting aside dedicated time for studying and completing assignments. Additionally, taking breaks and engaging in self-care activities can help reduce stress. It is also important to communicate with your professors and seek support from peers and mentors when needed.

What are some common challenges that graduate students in physics face?

Some common challenges that graduate students in physics may face include managing the workload and stress, balancing research and coursework, securing funding, and maintaining a work-life balance. Additionally, the competitive nature of academia and the pressure to publish can also be challenging. It is important for graduate students to seek support and resources when facing these challenges and to prioritize self-care and well-being throughout their graduate studies.