Determining the Appropriate Oxidation State of Chromium in a Reaction

In summary, when working out a reaction involving chromium, if the oxidation state is not given, it is recommended to use the most stable oxidation state for that particular reaction. This is a general rule to follow when dealing with unknown oxidation states in chemical reactions.
mystix
I am working out a reaction and I was wondering if someone could tell me which oxidation state of chromium should be used?

Cr(s) + AgNO3(aq) -> Cr(NO3)?(aq) + Ag(s)

Do I use Chromium (II) Nitrate or Chromium (III) Nitrate? How do I know which one to use?

If anyone could help explain which oxidation state of Chromium is correct, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
III

wikipedia

Thanks rocophysics!

So, if you aren't given the oxidation state, always use the most stable oxidation state?

Is this a rule?

Yes. If there is no way to determine which oxidation state is involved in the given reaction, pick the most stable one (under the conditions).

1. What is the oxidation state of chromium?

The oxidation state of chromium (Cr) can vary depending on its chemical compound. However, the most common oxidation states for chromium are +2, +3, and +6.

2. How does chromium change oxidation state?

Chromium can change oxidation state through chemical reactions or reactions with other elements. For example, chromium can be oxidized from +3 to +6 by reacting with oxygen gas.

3. Why is chromium oxidation state important?

Chromium oxidation state is important because it determines the chemical properties and behavior of chromium compounds. It also affects the toxicity and biological activity of chromium-containing substances.

4. What are some common compounds with chromium in different oxidation states?

Some common compounds with chromium in the +2 oxidation state include chromium(II) oxide and chromium(II) chloride. In the +3 oxidation state, there are compounds such as chromium(III) oxide and chromium(III) sulfate. Chromium(VI) oxide and potassium dichromate are examples of compounds with chromium in the +6 oxidation state.

5. How is the oxidation state of chromium determined?

The oxidation state of chromium can be determined through various methods, including chemical analysis, spectroscopy, and electrochemical techniques. The most common approach is by using a redox titration, where the amount of oxidizing agent needed to react with the chromium compound is measured to determine its oxidation state.