Conditional Probability in a card game

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a deck of 53 cards, 11 of which are red and 42 are black. The question is how often a hand of 7 cards would have less red cards if one red card is removed from the deck prior to drawing, compared to leaving it in. The conversation also mentions the use of a hypergeometric distribution and provides a chart of probabilities for different scenarios. However, there is uncertainty about the exact approach to solving the problem and whether the probabilities would change depending on the number of red cards removed.
SiegeX
Although this problem may look like homework, I assure you it is not. It is a question that arose from a trading card game that I am stuck on. The problem is as follows (with simplified cards)

You have a deck of 53 cards, and 11 of those cards are red and 42 are black. If you were to randomly draw 7 cards from the deck, how often would your hand of 7 have *less* red cards in it if you had removed 1 red card from the deck prior to drawing your cards compared to leaving it in?

I'm fairly certain this is a hypergeometric distribution and I have calculated the probabilities of drawing 0-7 red cards in a hand of 7 with 11 red cards in a 53 card deck as well as the probability of drawing 0-7 red cards in a hand of 7 with 10 red cards in a 52 card deck. These numbers are listed below. Where to go from here I am not sure. This seems to be a conditional probability but there shouldn't be any dependence since the 7 drawn cards are replaced on each trial.

Code:
	0	1	2	3	4	5	6	7
53	17.50%	37.44%	30.35%	11.98%	2.46%	0.26%	0.01%	0.00%
52	20.17%	39.21%	28.61%	10.04%	1.80%	0.16%	0.01%	0.00%

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, I get a different chart from yours, starting
Code:
19.63%  35.98%  28.27%
SiegeX said:
You have a deck of 53 cards, and 11 of those cards are red and 42 are black. If you were to randomly draw 7 cards from the deck, how often would your hand of 7 have *less* red cards in it if you had removed 1 red card from the deck prior to drawing your cards compared to leaving it in?

I'll need more context before I can understand you. Let's say your question was "how often would your hand of 7 have *less* red cards in it if you had removed 0 red cards from the deck prior to drawing your cards compared to leaving it in?" (bold part changed). Would the answer to this question be 0 (since the probabilities would of course be the same) or positive (since some hands would improve)?

What is conditional probability in a card game?

Conditional probability in a card game refers to the likelihood of a certain outcome occurring, given that another event has already happened. In other words, it is the probability of an event occurring under specific conditions.

How is conditional probability calculated in a card game?

Conditional probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you are trying to find the probability of drawing a heart from a deck of cards, given that the first card drawn was a spade, the calculation would be: (13/52) = 1/4 or 25%.

What is the difference between conditional probability and unconditional probability in a card game?

The main difference between conditional and unconditional probability in a card game is that conditional probability takes into account specific conditions or events that have already occurred, while unconditional probability looks at the overall likelihood of an event happening without any conditions.

Can conditional probability be used to increase chances of winning in a card game?

No, conditional probability cannot be used to increase chances of winning in a card game. The probability of an event occurring is based on mathematical calculations and cannot be manipulated or influenced by previous events.

How can understanding conditional probability in a card game be useful?

Understanding conditional probability in a card game can be useful in making informed decisions and strategies. It can help players assess the likelihood of certain outcomes and make more strategic moves based on those probabilities.