Problem with unit conversion question

In summary, The conversation is about converting a price per cubic foot to a price per liter and there is confusion about the calculation and possible issues with the online system or a calculation error. The person is seeking input and mentions the use of ratios to convert between cubic feet and liters. They also mention the significance of leading zeroes in the calculation.
guitarf1
See attached image.

I can't figure out if its an issue with the Aris online system or a calculation error.

$1.40/15 cubic ft is equivilant to $140/424.752699 liter. Then I divide $140/424.752699 to obtain $.003 as being rounded to 3 sig figs. Is there something wrong with this conversation?

Thanks in advance for any input. Its really frustrating to not know the fault of your work.

Doug

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
The image was uninterpretable; otherwise I would try to help.

Did you want to convert dollars per cubic feet into dollars per liter? What are all the ratios you are using? Basically you only need ratios sufficient to change cubic feet to liters.

Think: feet>inches>centimeter, and from there you can find your cubic centimeters and milliliters, and directly your liters.

.003 is not three significant digits, leading zeroes don't count!

1. Why is unit conversion important in science?

Unit conversion is important in science because it allows scientists to accurately measure and compare quantities. This is crucial in experiments and data analysis, as different units can represent vastly different values. Converting units also allows for easier communication and understanding among scientists from different countries and disciplines.

2. How do I convert units in a problem?

To convert units, you must use a conversion factor - a ratio that expresses the relationship between the two units. To convert from one unit to another, multiply the given value by the conversion factor. Make sure to cancel out the units that are the same on both sides of the equation to ensure accuracy.

3. What are some common unit conversions used in science?

Some common unit conversions used in science include converting between metric and imperial units (e.g. meters to feet, kilograms to pounds), converting between units of time (e.g. seconds to minutes), and converting between units of volume (e.g. liters to milliliters).

4. How do I know which unit conversion to use?

The unit conversion to use depends on the given units and the desired units. It is important to pay attention to the units given in the problem and choose the appropriate conversion factor. You may need to do multiple conversions and cancel out units to get to the desired unit.

5. What are some tips for avoiding errors in unit conversion problems?

To avoid errors in unit conversion problems, it is important to keep track of units and ensure they are properly canceled out. It can also be helpful to write out the units in the conversion factor to ensure they are correctly matched. Additionally, double-checking your calculations and using a calculator can help avoid mistakes.