Kalman filters, gyros and accelerometers in 3DOF, Oh my

• Thread starter Ian_Brooks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filters
In summary: A kalman filter can be used to reduce the noise from accelerometer readings, but it is not the best method. A moving average or low pass filter can be more effective.
Ian_Brooks
Can someone please explain to me how kalman filters would help a system with accelerometers and Gyros work better together?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ian_Brooks said:
Can someone please explain to me how kalman filters would help a system with accelerometers and Gyros work better together?

Thanks

Can you be more specific? What is the source of the assertion that Kalman filters would provide special help?

sure -

I know a kalman filter uses a predictive feedback method by comparing a known reference predicted value to an actual value measured in noisy environments. If I use a system that uses gyroscopes and accellerometers for Innertial measurement, I was told a Kalman filter bridges the gap between sensory data and the actual position.

However, without knowing exactly how a kalman filter would solve my problem I'm having a little trouble getting started.

i'm currently reading the following paper to see where I need to go next.

http://www.invensense.com/shared/pdf/motion_sensing_accel_human.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Kalman filters are a good way of combining the best of both worlds of the gyroscope and accelerometers. Gyroscopes work by integrating constantly over a period of time, which creates error because it is an iterative process. This is usually referred to as "drift". Accelerometers measure acceleration in only one axis and typically don't generate and error. However they do measure all acceleration, this includes the gravitational field and what ever acceleration the sensor may be experiencing. A kalman filter is often used to tie the two together, the gyro measuring rotation, and the accel minimizing the error that the gyro creates (accel is offset from center of rotation, purhaps delta pattern). This doesn't have to be done with a kalman filter, there are a lot of easier ways of doing it but they don't perform as well.

There are a lot of different kinds of kalman filters. The most common is the discrete kalman filter which is used for linear systems and normal or gaussian distributions. There is also the extended kalman filter typically used for stochastic non-linear systems. Then there is also different breads and hybrids like the unscented kalman or kalman-bucy filter.

I suggest you start with the discrete kalman filter as it is the simplest and easiest to implement. If your writing code for this project, a discrete kalman filter can usually be implemented in only 5 lines of code after the system is defined.

This is a great paper if your just getting started with the KF: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~welch/media/pdf/kalman_intro.pdf

I needed to implement an extended kalman filter for a non-linear system for a project at work and this got me up to speed very fast.

thanks, I'm currently making a hardware protoype with the sensors mounted onto a single board, the software implementation will come into play next semester.

Hi,

If I only have accelreometer readings and no gyroscope or orientation readings is it still possible to filter out g from it using a kalman filter? Also will kalman filter help me reduce the noise from the accelerometer data better than a moving average or a low pass filter?

1. What is a Kalman filter and how does it work?

A Kalman filter is an algorithm used to estimate the state of a system based on incomplete and noisy measurements. It combines the measurements from multiple sensors, such as gyros and accelerometers, to produce a more accurate estimate of the system's state. It works by calculating a weighted average of the current estimate and the new measurement, where the weights are based on the relative uncertainties of each value.

2. What are gyros and how are they used in 3DOF systems?

Gyros, short for gyroscopes, are sensors that measure the rate of rotation or angular velocity of an object. In 3DOF systems, gyros are used to measure the rotational movement of the system around three axes (roll, pitch, and yaw). These measurements are then used to update the Kalman filter and improve the accuracy of the system's estimated state.

3. How do accelerometers contribute to 3DOF systems?

Accelerometers are sensors that measure the acceleration of an object, which includes both linear and rotational acceleration. In 3DOF systems, accelerometers are used to measure the linear acceleration along the three axes (x, y, and z). These measurements, combined with the gyro measurements, provide a more complete picture of the system's motion and help improve the accuracy of the Kalman filter's estimation.

4. What is meant by "3DOF" in relation to these sensors?

In this context, 3DOF stands for "three degrees of freedom". This refers to the three axes (x, y, and z) that the system is able to move and rotate along. By using gyros and accelerometers to measure the system's motion along these three axes, we can estimate the system's state in three dimensions.

5. Can Kalman filters, gyros, and accelerometers be used in applications other than 3DOF systems?

Yes, these sensors and algorithms can be used in various other applications, such as robotics, navigation systems, and aerospace engineering. In fact, they are commonly used in 6DOF (six degrees of freedom) systems, which involve three additional axes for rotational movement. They can also be used in combination with other sensors, such as magnetometers, to improve the accuracy of the estimated state in different types of systems.