Calculating Speed and Height of a Thrown Ball

In summary: Therefore, to solve this problem, we can use conservation of energy and ignore air resistance. Use the kinematic equations to find the height and solve for the speed at the highest point.
12boone

Homework Statement

A 0.20KG ball is thrown with a speed of 13 m/s at an angle of 32 degrees.

What is the speed at the highest point?

How high does it go? (Use conservation of energy, and ignores air resistance

Homework Equations

I think the kinematic equations but I am not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was positive that the velocity of any projectile at the highest point would be zero, but this was not right in this problem. I think the problem has something to do with mechanical energy but I am not sure. Any suggestions for A? so that I can maybe find B.

Physics news on Phys.org
12boone said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I think the kinematic equations but I am not sure.

I was positive that the velocity of any projectile at the highest point would be zero, but this was not right in this problem. I think the problem has something to do with mechanical energy but I am not sure. Any suggestions for A? so that I can maybe find B.
You're almost correct: the vertical component of the velocity will be zero at the highest point, but the horizontal component needn't be.

12boone said:

Homework Statement

In projectile motion at the highest point one of the components speed will be zero, but remember one of components will have constant value. Projectile motion is a mix of free fall and constant velocity movements.

1. How do I calculate the speed of a thrown ball?

To calculate the speed of a thrown ball, you will need to measure the distance the ball travels and the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance/time. Make sure to use consistent units for distance and time, such as meters and seconds.

2. What is the equation for calculating the height of a thrown ball?

The equation for calculating the height of a thrown ball is height = initial height + (initial velocity * time) - (1/2 * acceleration due to gravity * time^2). The initial height and velocity can be assumed to be 0 in most cases. The acceleration due to gravity is typically 9.8 m/s^2. Again, make sure to use consistent units for time and velocity.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate speed and height for any object?

Yes, the same formula can be used to calculate the speed and height of any object, as long as you have the necessary measurements and information. However, keep in mind that the acceleration due to gravity may vary depending on the object's location and the presence of any external forces.

4. How does air resistance affect the calculations for a thrown ball?

Air resistance can affect the calculations for a thrown ball by slowing down the ball's speed and reducing its height. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the ball's motion, causing it to decelerate. To get more accurate calculations, you can consider the effects of air resistance by using more advanced equations or conducting experiments in controlled environments.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the speed and height of a thrown ball?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the speed and height of a thrown ball, such as the angle at which it is thrown, the mass and shape of the ball, and the surface it is thrown on. These factors can change the initial velocity and the trajectory of the ball, ultimately affecting the final calculated values for speed and height. It is important to take these factors into account when conducting experiments or making calculations.