Different people have different sweat smell ?

• Thread starter Marie Cury
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smell
In summary, people have different sweat smells due to variations in their personal biochemistry. The odor is caused by bacteria that live in sweat, particularly in areas where an oily substance is also released. Further details on this topic may be provided by expert biologists.
Marie Cury
Is it true that different people have different sweat smell ? If so why ?

Thank you

Biology news on Phys.org

Everyone's personal biochemistry is different. The odour doesn't come from the sweat itself, but from the microorganisms that live in it. What you smell is essentially bacteria ****. Regular perspiration doesn't have that problem, since it's fairly pure water with electrolytes, salts, etc.. Sweat glands in the armpits, groin, and nipples, however, also release an oily substance that bacteria love to nibble on. I'm afraid that I can't remember any specifics right now, but Moonbear and a few other high-mojo biologists will be able to give you more info.

edit: **** meant feces. I just call it like I see it and rely upon the censor software to rein me in. :biggrin:

I love more details for not being misunderstanding this problem, I hope they will clearify soon because I am going to have a long winter sleep from now.

I'm sure that they'll be with you before long. Sorry that I can't be of any more help myself.

1. Why do some people have stronger sweat smells than others?

There are a few factors that can contribute to the strength of an individual's sweat smell. One factor is the type of bacteria present on the skin, as different bacteria can produce different odors. Another factor is an individual's diet, as certain foods and drinks can affect the body's sweat production and smell. Hormones and genetics may also play a role in the strength of an individual's sweat smell.

2. Is there a medical reason for different sweat smells in individuals?

In some cases, yes. Certain medical conditions, such as hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) or trimethylaminuria (a rare genetic disorder that causes a fishy body odor), can affect an individual's sweat smell. It is important to consult a doctor if you experience a sudden change in your sweat smell or excessive sweating.

3. Can someone's sweat smell change over time?

Yes, an individual's sweat smell can change over time due to a variety of factors such as diet, hormonal changes, and medication use. Additionally, as we age, our sweat glands become less active, which can also affect the strength and smell of our sweat.

4. Is there a difference in sweat smell between men and women?

Yes, studies have shown that men tend to have a stronger and more pungent sweat smell compared to women. This is due to the higher levels of testosterone in men, which can stimulate the production of sweat and the bacteria that cause odor.

5. Can someone's sweat smell be controlled or changed?

While sweat smell cannot be completely controlled, there are ways to manage and reduce it. Maintaining good hygiene, using antiperspirants or deodorants, and wearing breathable clothing can help reduce sweat and minimize odor. Additionally, some medical treatments, such as Botox injections, can be used to reduce excessive sweating and odor.