I cant understand the exact meaning of

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
In summary, lim inf and lim sup are the infimum and supremum of all subsequential limits of a sequence. They can be equal to a point, but it doesn't mean that the sequence only takes on values above or below that point. It is possible to have values both above and below the lim inf and lim sup points.
transgalactic
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/3649/84677187li3.gif

i thought that lim inf is the smallest inf ever so
why in this drawing its located on the right of inf(Xn)
and they say that lim inf >= of point d
how could i t be
the subsequence converges to d .lim inf cannot be larger then D (it is D)

and the same thing goes for the lim sup
??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
transgalactic said:
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/3649/84677187li3.gif

i thought that lim inf is the smallest inf ever
If have no idea what "smallest inf ever" could mean! I suspect you have a completely wrong idea of what lim inf and lim sup are.

"lim inf" of a sequence is the inf of all subsequential limits.
"lim sup" of a seque nce is the sup of all subsequential limits

so
why in this drawing its located on the right of inf(Xn)
and they say that lim inf >= of point d
how could i t be
the subsequence converges to d .lim inf cannot be larger then D (it is D)

and the same thing goes for the lim sup
??
Since I can't see the drawing you are talking about, I have no idea.
If a sequence converges to anything, the all subsequences converge to the same thing so both lim inf and lim sup must be equal to that.

For example, the sequence (-1)n/n converges to 0 so both lim sup and lim inf are 0. That has nothing to do with the fact that there are members of the sequence both above and below 0.

If the sequence were an= (-1)n (n+1)/n, then there are two convergent subsequences: an with n even is (n+1)/n which converges to 1 and with n odd is -(n+1)/n which converges to -1. lim inf= -1 and lim sup= 1. However, all an with n even are greater than 1 and decrease to 1, while all an with n odd are less than -1 and increase to -1.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks i think i am getting the idea

1. What does "I can't understand the exact meaning of" mean?

"I can't understand the exact meaning of" is a phrase that indicates that the speaker is having difficulty comprehending the precise definition or significance of something.

2. How do I determine the exact meaning of a word or phrase?

The exact meaning of a word or phrase can be determined by consulting a dictionary or other reliable source, such as a language expert or reputable website.

3. Why is it important to understand the exact meaning of something?

Understanding the exact meaning of something is important for effective communication and critical thinking. It allows us to accurately convey our thoughts and ideas, as well as analyze information and make informed decisions.

4. What can I do if I still can't understand the exact meaning of something after researching it?

If you are still struggling to understand the exact meaning of something, you can try discussing it with someone knowledgeable on the subject, rephrasing the concept in your own words, or seeking additional resources for clarification.

5. Is the exact meaning of something always clear and unambiguous?

No, the exact meaning of something can sometimes be open to interpretation or context-dependent. It is important to consider the context and potential nuances when trying to understand the exact meaning of something.