Force of wire in a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wire with a current of 2.97 A at an angle of 37.4° relative to a magnetic field of 0.889 T. The goal is to calculate the force exerted on a 2.40 m length of the wire. The relevant equation is F=ILBsin(theta), and after some calculations, it is determined that the mistake was due to the calculator being in radian mode. The correct answer is -1.867N.
Cheezay

Homework Statement

A wire with a current of 2.97 A is at an angle of 37.4° relative to a magnetic field of 0.889 T. Calculate the force exerted on a 2.40 m length of the wire.

Homework Equations

F= ILBsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm under the impression that the problem gives me all the information i need, so:

F - The force I need to find
I - The given current 2.97A
L - Length of wire - 2.4m
B - .889T
sin(37.4) = -.2948 (Could my mistake be here?)

I multiply all of these values together (2.97A)(2.4m)(.889T)(-.2948) and i get = -1.867N, which isn't correct... any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculator is in radian mode. That's all.

Thanks very much, problem solved!

1. What is the force of a wire in a magnetic field?

The force on a wire in a magnetic field is a result of the interaction between the magnetic field and the current flowing through the wire. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the magnetic field.

2. How is the force of a wire in a magnetic field calculated?

The force on a wire in a magnetic field can be calculated using the equation F = I x B x L, where F is the force in Newtons, I is the current in Amperes, B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla, and L is the length of the wire in meters.

3. What factors affect the force of a wire in a magnetic field?

The force on a wire in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the wire, and the length of the wire. Additionally, the angle between the wire and the magnetic field can also affect the force.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the force of a wire in a magnetic field?

The direction of the current flowing through the wire affects the direction of the force on the wire. If the current is flowing in the same direction as the magnetic field, the force will be repulsive. If the current is flowing in the opposite direction, the force will be attractive.

5. How is the force of a wire in a magnetic field used in practical applications?

The force of a wire in a magnetic field is used in a variety of practical applications, such as electric motors, generators, and maglev trains. It is also used in scientific experiments to study the properties of electromagnetism and to manipulate particles in particle accelerators.