Is it possible to upgrade the CPU with my motherboard?

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cpu
In summary, if you have a Core 2 Quad processor and want to upgrade to an Intel Core 2 Extreme, you should check around to see if the processor and motherboard are compatible, and then upgrade the motherboard and possibly the RAM. If you're upgrading the CPU, you may need a new PSU and a better case.
The_Absolute
Click the link for specifications on my desktop computer.

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668208.php

I was wondering if it is possible in terms of hardware compatibility to upgrade my CPU from a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 to an Intel Core 2 Extreme. I'm not sure if the motherboard's socket type as well as the computers other components will support it. I believe it is an LGA 775 socket, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
junglebeast said:
Your current processor has socket type LGA775,

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB6B

With the exception of the QX9775, all the other processors in the Core 2 Extreme processor series are also LGA775...so yes you can upgrade

http://processorfinder.intel.com/Li...55,47,48,56,50,51,52,&ProcFam=2559&SearchKey=

Looks like the QX9770 is your best bet

I don't think I'll be spending more for that CPU than I did for my whole computer. I don't understand why the Core 2 Extremes are actually more expensive than it's faster successor, the Core i7. When will the prices of the Core 2 Extremes drop?

It's pretty pointless to upgrade a CPU by itself because the latest and greatest CPU will always use a different chipset. This is why most people upgrade CPU and motherboard together. And if you're upgrading the motherboard, you usually have to upgrade the RAM. And of course, you probably need a new PSU to support the new CPU...and unless you recently upgraded your GPU...well, you get the idea. It makes sense to upgrade everything all at once, except for perhaps the case, which you can keep for a few cycles :P

Be careful upgrading that CPU. As far as I can tell the Northbridge doesn't support it and unless things have changed, your interface isn't the only thing that will decide whether or not your CPU will be compatible.

Pengwuino said:
Be careful upgrading that CPU. As far as I can tell the Northbridge doesn't support it and unless things have changed, your interface isn't the only thing that will decide whether or not your CPU will be compatible.

With my chipset, socket type, and North Bridge/Southbridge, what is the fastest Core 2 Quad processor that I can upgrade to in terms of compatibility?

research overclocking you current chip
best case it is free
worst case you planed to junk it anyway
core2 chips are known to overclock well

but you most likely will need a better mother board
as Gateway and most other CORPs use cheap M/B

1. Can I upgrade the CPU on my current motherboard?

Yes, it is often possible to upgrade the CPU on your existing motherboard. However, it is important to check the compatibility of your motherboard with the new CPU before making any changes.

2. How do I know if my motherboard is compatible with a new CPU?

You can check the compatibility of your motherboard with a new CPU by looking at the socket type and chipset of your motherboard. These should match the socket type and chipset of the new CPU you wish to upgrade to.

3. Will upgrading my CPU improve my computer's performance?

It is possible that upgrading your CPU can improve your computer's performance, especially if you are currently using an older or slower CPU. However, the overall performance improvement will also depend on other factors, such as the amount of RAM, graphics card, and storage on your computer.

4. Is it necessary to upgrade my CPU?

Whether or not it is necessary to upgrade your CPU depends on your specific needs and usage. If you are experiencing slow performance or have specific tasks that require a more powerful CPU, then upgrading may be necessary. However, if your current CPU meets your needs, then an upgrade may not be necessary.

5. What are the risks of upgrading my CPU?

The main risk of upgrading your CPU is compatibility issues. If your motherboard is not compatible with the new CPU, it may not work or could cause damage to your computer. It is also important to follow proper installation procedures and ensure that your computer is powered off and unplugged during the upgrade process.