Outdoor electronic soundproofing

• Thread starter AnnieH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronic
In summary, the technology to block noise outdoors does not currently exist, but it may be possible in the future with the use of computer software and technology.
AnnieH
Excuse me. I am an accountant. No physics at all. But, is it possible to do outdoor soundproofing? I envisioned a setup of portable poles that could in effect soundproof an area with electonic or magnetic frequencies by blocking or effecting the sound waves coming from that area. Kind of like a cell phone or radio tower only small and portable to move with a truck or buy at Home Depot. They could be used in a small or large area, larger requiring more portable poles or taller poles. Cell phone signals can be blocked, why not sound waves? It would be a great invention for construction zones, highways, racetracks, or my teenage son's garage band. It could also make an outdoor area private like a private meeting room or a wedding. Does the military already have this technology? Is this even possible or have I been watching too much Star Trek? Seems like it could make a million $. Where are the aliens when you need them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cell phone signals are elctromagnetic, they are blocked by a conducting (metal) screen.
Sound is a vibration of the air, the only way to stop it is to reflect or absorb the vibration - this requires something solid and heavy in the way.

There are techniques to reduce noise by broadcasting other sounds 'out of phase' with the original sound - which reduces the volume in a small area. It works well for enclose spaces and predictable low frequency noise - it's used in high end sports cars and turboprop aircraft.

As was previously mentioned, EM (electromagnetic) waves and sound waves (which are pressure waves) are ENTIRELY different things and although the aformentioned noise cancelling technology most certainly exists it is extraordinarily expensive and complicated. Unfortunatly the poor man's answer is no. You can't really do outdoor soundproofing without computer driven noise cancellation tech (although I feel like analog noise cancellation may exist but that's still not at all helpful). Furthermore, if you were to place posts around your outdoor property it would actually DECREASE sound proofing since they would serve to reflect the sound back inwards. However, let me just say, incase people try to correct me, that an advanced knowledge of physics and acoustic engineering could almost certainly concoct a device to block noise outdoors. However, it would neither be simply nor cheap

P.S. as you mentioned light waves can be blocked by "spamming" all frequencies near the broadcast frequency (radio, IR, UV, X-Rays, etc are all light). And similarily sound waves could be blocked by other sounds waves. However, the simplest way to do this (as it is done in radio jamming) would be like if you took your TV and turned it on to a channel you didn't get (i.e. where you get nothing but static) and turned it up so loud you can't hear what other people are saying. Which would not exactly be useful in REDUCING neighbours' annoyance outdoors. More advanced approaches to noise cancellation would require a complete control of the sound producing environment (like in a pair of headphones but not like the out of doors) and computer software/technology.

Thanks so much for all the information. It is very interesting.

What is outdoor electronic soundproofing?

Outdoor electronic soundproofing is a method of reducing or blocking out unwanted noise from outdoor sources, such as traffic, construction, or loud neighbors. It involves the use of electronic devices and materials to absorb, reflect, or cancel out sound waves.

How does outdoor electronic soundproofing work?

Outdoor electronic soundproofing works by using electronic devices, such as speakers or microphones, to detect and analyze incoming noise. This information is then used to generate an opposite sound wave, canceling out the original noise. Other methods, such as sound-absorbing materials, can also be used to reduce the intensity of sound waves.

What are the benefits of outdoor electronic soundproofing?

The main benefit of outdoor electronic soundproofing is the reduction of unwanted noise. This can lead to a more peaceful and comfortable environment, especially in urban areas where noise pollution is common. It can also improve the quality of life for individuals who are sensitive to loud noises.

What are the limitations of outdoor electronic soundproofing?

Outdoor electronic soundproofing may not be effective in completely eliminating all outdoor noise. It also requires the use of electronic devices, which can be expensive and may require maintenance. Additionally, some methods of soundproofing may not be suitable for certain outdoor environments.

Are there any eco-friendly options for outdoor electronic soundproofing?

Yes, there are eco-friendly options for outdoor electronic soundproofing. These include using renewable energy sources to power electronic devices, using sustainable materials for sound-absorbing panels, and implementing noise-reducing landscaping techniques. It is important to consider the environmental impact of soundproofing methods when choosing a solution.