How to Number Equations in Latex with Letters?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Madara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, to label an equation in Latex, use the command \label{eq:labelname} after the equation and refer to it using \eqref{eq:labelname}. You can customize the numbering style for equations using \renewcommand{\theequation}{desired style}. To align equations with numbered subequations, use the align environment and \subequations command. You can add an equation number only to specific equations using \tag{desired number}. To refer to an equation by its number, use \eqref{eq:labelname}.
Madara
Hi,
I was wondering how to number a set of equations (in Latex) under the same number but differentiate with a letter appeneded at the end!
i.e,
aX + bY = k -------(1.1a)
cX + dY = l -------(1.1b)
rX + sY = m -------(1.1c)
like wise.
I can get them numbered as (1.1),(1.2),(1.3) etc. But don't know how to get the above format.

Thanks,
Madara

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the "subequations" environment.

Hi Madara,

Numbering equations in Latex can be done using the \begin{equation} and \end{equation} commands. To add a letter at the end of the equation number, you can use the \tag{} command within the equation environment. For example:

\begin{equation}
aX + bY = k \tag{1.1a}
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
cX + dY = l \tag{1.1b}
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
rX + sY = m \tag{1.1c}
\end{equation}

This will give you the desired numbering format. You can also use the \label{} command to refer to these equations later in your document.

I hope this helps. Happy typesetting!

1. How do I label equations in Latex?

To label an equation in Latex, you can use the command \label{eq:labelname} after the equation you want to label. This will assign a unique label to the equation, which you can then refer to using the \eqref{eq:labelname} command.

2. Can I customize the numbering style for equations in Latex?

Yes, you can customize the numbering style for equations in Latex by using the \renewcommand{\theequation}{desired style} command in the preamble of your document. Some common styles include arabic (1, 2, 3...), roman (i, ii, iii...), and alph (a, b, c...).

3. How do I align equations with numbered subequations in Latex?

To align equations with numbered subequations in Latex, you can use the align environment and the \subequations command. Place the equations you want to align within the align environment, and use the \label{eq:labelname} command to label each equation. Then, use the \subequations command before the first equation to start the numbering and the \end{subequations} command after the last equation to end the numbering.

4. Is it possible to add an equation number only to specific equations in Latex?

Yes, you can add an equation number only to specific equations in Latex by using the \tag{desired number} command after the equation you want to label. This will override the automatic numbering and assign the desired number to the equation.

5. Can I refer to an equation by its number in Latex?

Yes, you can refer to an equation by its number in Latex by using the \eqref{eq:labelname} command, where "labelname" is the label assigned to the equation. This will automatically insert the correct equation number in your text.