Obtaining A(r) Using Ampere's Law: Question on a Past Paper

• Thread starter RyanBoulton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the conversation discusses using Ampere's law to obtain an expression for the magnetic vector potential A(r) of a long straight wire with a uniform steady current I. It is mentioned that magnetic potential is not commonly used nowadays and the conversation is suggested to be moved to the homework section.
RyanBoulton
Can anyone help me with this, i have done the first part, whereas i have obtained B using ampere's law. But changing it to A (magnetic vector potential) is proving to be tricky.

A long straight wire of radius a carries a uniform steady current I. Using the integral
form of Ampere's law, obtain an expression for the magnetic vector potential A(r)
at a distance r < a.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
You should clarify what magnetic potential is, I mean, nowadays it is not used .

It may be similar to magnetic field B so keep on trying what you first did.

salutations

What do you mean that the magnetic potential is not used? Sure it is.

That said, this really needs to go into the homework section.

1. What is a past paper and why is it important?

A past paper is a previous exam or test paper that has been used in the past. It is important because it gives students an idea of the types of questions that may be asked in an upcoming exam, allowing them to prepare and practice effectively.

2. How do I use a past paper to study?

To use a past paper for studying, first read through the questions and try to answer them without looking at the answers. Then, check your answers and review any mistakes. Next, go through the paper again and try to answer the questions in a timed setting, simulating an actual exam. Finally, review any difficult concepts or topics that you struggled with.

3. Can I rely solely on past papers to prepare for an exam?

No, past papers should be used as a supplement to your regular studying and should not be the only resource you use to prepare for an exam. It is important to also review notes, textbooks, and other study materials.

4. How far back should I go when using past papers to study?

This will depend on the subject and level of the exam. Generally, it is recommended to go back 3-5 years for a comprehensive review. However, if the exam format or curriculum has changed significantly, it may be best to use more recent past papers.

5. Are the answers provided in past papers always correct?

The answers provided in past papers may not always be 100% correct. It is important to cross-reference with other sources and to consult with a teacher or tutor if there are any discrepancies or confusion about the answers.