Black Hole Energy/Galactic Plane

In summary, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that crossing the galactic plane has any significant effects on Earth. The galactic plane is simply the middle of the thick galactic disc and there is nothing special about it. The supposed 2012 Galactic Plane theory is not taken seriously by educated astronomers and is considered to be crackpottery. The black hole at the center of our galaxy does not give off energy along the plane of the galaxy and its effects on Earth are miniscule. Crossing the galactic plane may increase the likelihood of encountering debris, but our position in relation to the plane is not well-defined and we are not currently near crossing it. Discussion of this crackpot theory is not allowed in scientific forums.
NIXSIX5
I am a geographer with limited experience in astronomy but I have been trying to find connections between the 2012 Galactic Plane theory and events that have taken place on Earth, such as pole shift, ice ages, volcanic eruptions, major Earth quakes etc.

A few theories state that our solar system crosses the galactic plane every 12,900 years and does a complete revolution every 25,800 years, cork-screwing its way on Orion as our galaxy rotates, thus crossing the galactic plane twice in the full cycle.

If you count 12,900 years from the last ice age of approximately 10,000 BC, it could be right around 12,000 years ago. If events such as an ice age, melting of ice, or pole shift took place at about 10,888 BC, we would be looking at 2012 for the next event, according to some. But if so, why? Why would crossing the galactic plane do "something".

I have read various theories stating that the black hole in the center of our galaxy gives off very strong "photons" or some sort of energy that will affect Earth's magnetic field which will cause drought and other geographic problems on the planet. I have also read that there will be a pole shift which will cause a sudden ice age, floods and severe weather. We have had other pole locations, we have had sudden snow accumulations that have frozen species almost instantly, and we have had major Earth quakes and volcanic eruptions, but can energy from a black hole do this, especially when it is so far away?

From what I can tell from the physical evidence on Earth, not to mention writings, stories, and warnings from past civilizations, large scale catastrophes have happened on this planet at various time intervals, some of which match the supposed timing of the solar system crossing the galactic plane of our black hole.

I guess my question is, do educated astronomers believe that any of this is possible?
Do black holes give off strong energy, or pull in more condensed energy along a plane?
Could crossing a black hole's plane have some sort of major affect on the planet?

Thank you for your time!
NJS

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The galactic disc is thick (at least by Human standards) and there is nothing special about the 'zero' line of the galactic plane. It's like thinking something special will happen precisely as you cross 'the equator' on Earth. The plane just happens to be the middle of the disk, but the conditions are no different to that on either side of that imaginary line.

There is strong evidence for the existence of a massive black hole at the centre of the galaxy, but we will be no closer to it as we 'cross the galactic plane' as we are at any other time. I'm also not sure that we are actually near the galactic plane at the moment, and I doubt that it is defined well enough, and more importantly that our position is known accurately enough, to be able to pin pint down to a time period as small as a year when we will actually cross the galactic plane.

One more point that is important, no the black hole at the centre doesn't give out energy along the plane of the galaxy. Our galaxy does not have an 'active' black hole like some others, in the sense that material is not being accreted onto it a a great rate. It is this accretion process that makes some black holes spew out great amount of energy, however in that case it goes axially rather than along the 'disk' of the rotation.

Black holes also give of Hawking radiation, but that is miniscule for a BH the size of the one in the Milky Way, and is isotropic (the same in all directions) rather than having anything to do with the plane.

NIXSIX5 said:
I am a geographer with limited experience in astronomy but I have been trying to find connections between the 2012 Galactic Plane theory...

I guess my question is, do educated astronomers believe that any of this is possible?

Thank you for your time!
NJS
There is no such thing in real science/astronomy as a "2012 Galactic Plane Theory". There is only recycled end-of-the-world crackpottery associated with 2012. So no, no real astronomer takes this seriously.
Could crossing a black hole's plane have some sort of major affect on the planet?
The only thing that crossing the galactic plane could do is to make it more likely that we could hit some debris that might be more prevalent along the plane of the galaxy. But this plane isn't well enough defined and we aren't anywhere near crossing it right now anyway (it isn't on a 12,900 year cycle).

Discussion of crackpottery is forbidden here as it detracts from the purpose of the forums (discussing real science). Thread locked.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself, creating a singularity with infinite density and zero volume.

2. How is energy produced in a black hole?

The energy in a black hole is produced by the immense gravitational forces exerted on matter as it falls into the singularity. As the matter gets closer to the singularity, it accelerates and heats up, releasing energy in the form of heat, light, and other radiation.

3. What is the role of black hole energy in the galactic plane?

Black hole energy plays a crucial role in shaping and maintaining the structure of the galactic plane. The gravitational pull of black holes can influence the movement and distribution of stars and gas, and their energy output can also impact the evolution of galaxies.

4. How do we detect black hole energy from Earth?

We can detect black hole energy through various methods, such as observing the effects of its gravity on surrounding objects, measuring the X-rays and other radiation emitted from the accretion disk, and detecting the gravitational waves produced by the collision of two black holes.

5. Is black hole energy a renewable source of energy?

No, black hole energy is not a renewable source of energy. Once a black hole has consumed all the surrounding matter, it will eventually stop producing energy and enter a dormant stage. However, the energy released from black holes can be harnessed and utilized by advanced civilizations in the distant future.