Solve for Soda Cost given Hot Dog Price and Total Income

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, if a hot dog costs twice as much as a soda, and if the vendor takes in a total of d dollars, then a soda costs 3x as much as a hot dog.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A vendor sells h hot dogs and s sodas. If a hot dog costs twice as much as a soda, and if the vendor takes in a total of d dollars, how many cents does a soda cost?

Good luck :biggrin: keep in mind, this is a question taken from an actual test that should be solved in 60-90 seconds..

Physics news on Phys.org
100d = h(2x) + s(x) = x(2h + s)
So, x = 100d/(2h+s).

Surely, there's a catch somewhere, that I'm missing !

Monique, its me from the IQ post. hell, i figured that out, i thought there would have had to have been a catch to it more complex than that. if that's all you were looking for then i got that. sorry.

hey monique
although i am trying to figure it out, i would like to know if you are an indian, or do you have an indian connection, coz, that signature line is in hindi. which is not very common.

Hey vikasj007, aap kaise hai? :smile: I'm not really indian.

Goluk has the right solution!

Monique said:
Goluk has the right solution!

if this is the right solution, then i don't get it that how is it a brain teaser. :confused: all he did was to form an equation,. and took all but one variable on one side. i thought there was something more to it than that.
even gokul feels that there is a catch. :rofl:

soda cost

Whatever your prepared to pay for it ---- when your thirsty. Ray

Monique said:
A vendor sells h hot dogs and s sodas. If a hot dog costs twice as much as a soda, and if the vendor takes in a total of d dollars, how many cents does a soda cost?

Good luck :biggrin: keep in mind, this is a question taken from an actual test that should be solved in 60-90 seconds..

s = 2h
Σs + Σh = d
1/3d ≈ s (not likely)
2/3d ≈ h (not likely)

What more can be got from the question? There is no price or capacity of the vendor and no number of people that used it. Gokul used 100d as an approx but it is right. How?

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
s = 2h
Σs + Σh = d
1/3d ≈ s (not likely)
2/3d ≈ h (not likely)

What more can be got from the question? There is no price or capacity of the vendor and no number of people that used it. Gokul used 100d as an approx but it is right. How?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Not sure what you mean by this, but ...

It does not say anuwhere, that s= 2h. How did you arrive at this ?
100d is not an approximation. It is exactly the amount taken in (measured in cents).
Let x be the cost of the soda. Then the cost of a hot dog is 2x (in cents).

Gokul43201 said:
Not sure what you mean by this, but ...

It does not say anuwhere, that s= 2h. How did you arrive at this ?
100d is not an approximation. It is exactly the amount taken in (measured in cents).
Let x be the cost of the soda. Then the cost of a hot dog is 2x (in cents).

Sorry it is h = 2s as a hot dog is twice as much as a soda. I still don't get it though. Sorry.

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob, s and h are the number of sodas and hot dogs, not the price.

EFischer said:
The Bob, s and h are the number of sodas and hot dogs, not the price.

Yes I know. Ok my bad. But I still don't get it.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Let x (cents) be the cost of one soda. Then, if s number of sodas are sold, the amount made is xs (in cents).

Now, the cost of one hotdog will be 2x, since it is twice as expensive as a soda. The number of hotdogs sold is h. So, the earnings from hotdogs is 2xh.

Total earnings = xs + 2xh = x(s+2h).

But we are told that the total earnings is d dollars, which is the same as 100d cents.

Thus, 100d = x(s+2h). Rearranging, we get : x = 100d/(s+2h), which is what we want to find out.

Oh I get it. Sorry Gokul. I am as thick as a two by four.

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. How do you calculate the cost of soda given the price of hot dogs and total income?

To calculate the cost of soda, you would need to divide the total income by the price of hot dogs. This will give you the number of hot dogs that can be purchased with the total income. Then, multiply this number by the cost of soda per hot dog to get the total cost of soda.

2. Can the cost of soda be determined if the price of hot dogs and total income are known?

Yes, the cost of soda can be calculated using the formula mentioned in the previous question. However, it is important to note that this calculation assumes that all the income is spent on purchasing hot dogs and soda.

3. How does the cost of soda change if the price of hot dogs increases?

If the price of hot dogs increases, the cost of soda will also increase. This is because the total income will now be able to purchase fewer hot dogs, resulting in a smaller number of hot dogs that can be exchanged for soda.

4. Is the cost of soda affected by the total income?

Yes, the cost of soda is directly affected by the total income. A higher total income will result in a higher cost of soda, assuming that the price of hot dogs remains constant.

5. Can the cost of soda be determined if the price of hot dogs and the number of hot dogs purchased are known?

No, the cost of soda cannot be determined with just the price of hot dogs and the number of hot dogs purchased. The total income is also needed to calculate the cost of soda.