Fiber optic internet connection?

In summary, the speaker is getting super-fast fiber optic internet installed soon and is excited about the potential 20 meg connection speed, especially for online gaming. They inquire about possible improvements in ping and lag with fiber optics and the impact of Windows 7 on internet speeds. The cost of the fiber optic installation is also mentioned. The conversation also briefly touches on the impact of browsers and operating systems on internet speeds.
The_Absolute
In a few days, people from my ISP are coming to my house to install super-fast fiber optic internet. Right now, I am using a DSL, or about a 3-meg connection speed. According to what I've heard, a fiber-optic network connection can give up to 20 megs. I use my computer for gaming, especially online gaming. Will I notice any significant improvement with my ping, as well as a reduction in lag, while playing video games online with fiber optics?

This is a bit off-topic, but I heard that Windows 7 is programmed to better utilize fast internet connections. Right now I am using Vista with service pack 1.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Unless your data packets are very large, transmission speed doesn't affect ping (or lag). Ping or lag is a function of distance and how many nodes buffer and retransmit your data packets to the destination and back. In gaming, what appears to be 'lag', can also be caused by lost or corrupted packets of data.

How much did that cost you, if you don't mind my asking?

Pattonias said:
How much did that cost you, if you don't mind my asking?

See http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSInternet/Plans/Plans.htm. Verizon FiOS is consumer fiber optic.

The_Absolute said:
This is a bit off-topic, but I heard that Windows 7 is programmed to better utilize fast internet connections. Right now I am using Vista with service pack 1.

The Windows version won't have a noticeable impact on your internet speeds. The delay will be dictated primarily by distance and the other factors mentioned. Try some new browsers like Firefox, Opera, or Google Chrome. You'll get a more noticeable impact from that than from a new operating system, at least when browsing the internet.

Windows 7 is faster than Vista, period.

If you would like consider putting your webcache into a RamDisk. This will not really help you to load a page faster initially, but you will have an instant back button in the browser and cached pages will load nearly instantly.

1. What is fiber optic internet connection?

Fiber optic internet connection is a type of internet connection that uses fiber optic cables to transmit data. These cables are made of thin strands of glass or plastic that are able to carry large amounts of data at extremely high speeds, making it one of the fastest and most reliable types of internet connection available.

2. How is fiber optic internet connection different from other types of internet connection?

Fiber optic internet connection is different from other types of internet connection, such as cable or DSL, because it uses light to transmit data instead of electrical signals. This allows for much faster data transfer speeds, as well as a more stable and consistent connection.

3. What are the benefits of using fiber optic internet connection?

There are several benefits to using fiber optic internet connection. These include faster download and upload speeds, more reliable connection with less downtime, and the ability to support multiple devices without compromising speed. Fiber optic internet also has better performance for activities such as streaming, gaming, and video conferencing.

4. How is fiber optic internet connection installed?

Fiber optic internet connection requires professional installation, as the cables must be carefully laid and connected to your home or building. The process involves running cables from an access point to your home or building, and then connecting them to a modem or router that will distribute the internet connection to your devices.

5. Is fiber optic internet connection available in my area?

Fiber optic internet connection is becoming increasingly available in many areas, but it may not be available in all locations. You can check with your local internet service providers to see if they offer fiber optic internet in your area. Some websites also offer a search tool to determine if fiber optic internet is available at your specific address.