Installing Windows XP on my MAC (Finally)

In summary, the person is looking for an up-to-date guide on installing Windows XP Professional on their Macbook Pro with Leopard OS. They have found that the OEM version of Windows is very cheap, but are unsure if it can be installed on a Mac. They have also heard that Boot Camp requires a full XP Pro SP2 license and that it can be cantankerous to install, but the process is similar to installing on a PC. They are also considering purchasing Windows 7, but prefer XP and are willing to pay a higher price for it. They are seeking advice on where to find a good price for a full retail version of Windows XP Pro.
Saladsamurai
I am looking for an up-to-date guide on installing Windows XP Professional on my Macbook Pro. I have a newer version of OSX (Leopard I think). Google is returning a lot of results, but the dates are mostly circa 2006. I was hoping someone who has done this with Leopard could point me to something more recent.

Also,from what I gather, I need a 'full retail' version of Win XP. After some searching, I found that this 'full' version retails in a lot of places for about $250. I don't mind shelling out the money, but is this really the best price?

Anyone have any luck finding a good price on XP pro from a 'not-shady' seller?

Any input is appreciated!

~Casey

Computer science news on Phys.org
The OEM version of Windows sold with a computer is very cheap. Some places let you buy the OEM version along with any hardware, eg a stick of RAM.

You should probably be looking at Windows7 now, XP isn't really sold anymore except for old stock.

mgb_phys said:
The OEM version of Windows sold with a computer is very cheap. Some places let you buy the OEM version along with any hardware, eg a stick of RAM.

You should probably be looking at Windows7 now, XP isn't really sold anymore except for old stock.

Yeah, I have seen the OEM versions, but have you actually installed one on a MAC? I know that you need to have Service Pack 2, and I am not sure if any of the OEM's would come with that?

I am going with XP, because from what I hear, Boot Camp is not quite up to speed on 7 yet. Plus, I love XP and I fear change.

I don't have a mac, the only difference with the OEM versions is the licencing. Some of the OEM discs that come with big name computers (eg Dell) are special to just install on that hardware - but those from a store will be fine

Most retail copies of XP will come with sp2, it was release a few years ago, or you can download it as part of the updates (assuming that bootcamp can boot without it)

mgb_phys said:
I don't have a mac, the only difference with the OEM versions is the licencing. Some of the OEM discs that come with big name computers (eg Dell) are special to just install on that hardware - but those from a store will be fine

I see. Everything I see on the web seems to be implying that Boot Camp will only install a Retail version and not OEM. But I will look into it seeing as the OEM I believe is a lot cheaper.

Most retail copies of XP will come with sp2, it was release a few years ago, or you can download it as part of the updates (assuming that bootcamp can boot without it)

It cannot boot with SP1. I have heard of something called slipstreaming (I think that's what it is called) where if you own a legal copy of XP w/SP1 you can somehow append SP2 to it.

But I rather just spend an extra $50 bucks and be lazy:redface:

I was just wondering what a good price on a copy of Full Windows XP Pro retail.

Mac OS X Boot Camp requires a full XP Pro SP2 license. As far as I know, that is the only version that works. I've blogged about my experiences with Boot Camp here: http://harborsparrow.blogspot.com/ It works but the install can be cantankerous.

I installed XP Pro SP2 (I already owned a copy) on my wife's PowerBook under Boot Camp. There were no tricks ... it installed just as if I was installing on a PC.

That's the beauty of Mac: put it in and it goes!

1. Can I install Windows XP on my MAC without affecting my original MAC operating system?

Yes, it is possible to install Windows XP on your MAC without affecting your original MAC operating system. This can be done through a process called dual-booting, where you can choose which operating system to boot into when you turn on your computer.

2. What are the requirements for installing Windows XP on a MAC?

The requirements for installing Windows XP on a MAC include a valid Windows XP installation CD, a valid product key, and a compatible MAC computer with an Intel processor. You will also need enough free space on your hard drive to create a separate partition for Windows XP.

3. Can I run all Windows XP programs on my MAC after installation?

No, not all Windows XP programs will work on a MAC after installation. Some programs may require specific hardware or drivers that are not compatible with the MAC operating system. It is best to check the compatibility of your specific programs before installing Windows XP.

4. Is it possible to uninstall Windows XP from my MAC?

Yes, it is possible to uninstall Windows XP from your MAC. You can do this by using the Boot Camp Assistant tool that comes with MAC computers. This will safely remove the Windows XP partition and restore your MAC to its original state.

5. Will installing Windows XP on my MAC void my warranty?

No, installing Windows XP on your MAC will not void your warranty. The process of dual-booting is supported by Apple and will not affect the warranty of your MAC computer. However, any damage caused by the installation process may not be covered by the warranty.