Troubleshooting Windows Vista Cursor Switching Issues

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with the mouse cursor automatically switching to a window underneath without clicking any mouse buttons. The speaker has checked their mouse control panel settings and found the "mouse-hover-switch-windows" feature is not enabled. They also mention checking the "Ease of Access" settings but have not found a solution. They suspect it may be a Vista bug.
berkeman
Mentor
Another fun question about Vista. This happens on both my office PC at work with its mouse, and my home laptop which does not use a mouse.

Sometimes, when I pull the cursor across the screen where there are two or more windows open (with one partly hidden by the top/active window), the context will switch to the window that was underneath, as the mouse cursor passes over it. This happens even though I do not click any mouse buttons. It's darned annoying, and not reproducible so far as I can tell.

My search of the web did find a mouse-hover-switch-windows "feature", but I checked my mouse control panel settings, and that is not enabled.

Thanks for any thoughts or things to check.

Computer science news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
My search of the web did find a mouse-hover-switch-windows "feature", but I checked my mouse control panel settings, and that is not enabled.

In the "Ease of Use" settings via "Personalize" off the desktop?

Greg Bernhardt said:
In the "Ease of Use" settings via "Personalize" off the desktop?

Do you mean Ease of Access? I've gone through the mouse and keyboard sections of that, but only the Mouse Keys feature looks suspicious so far...

hmmm there must be something in common between the computers. I haven't run across this problem before.

Yeah, the latest time it happened (today), I couldn't click/change to a window behind the top-most window (which was incorrectly given the top context by my cursor sweep). Seems like a Vista intermittant Window context bug/lockup...

1. Why does my cursor keep switching to different icons in Windows Vista?

This could be caused by a number of factors, including a faulty mouse or touchpad, a software glitch, or an issue with your computer's settings. It is important to troubleshoot each of these possibilities to determine the root cause of the issue.

2. How can I fix the cursor switching problem in Windows Vista?

First, try restarting your computer to see if that resolves the issue. If not, check for any updates for your mouse or touchpad drivers and install them. You can also try adjusting your mouse or touchpad settings in the Control Panel. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to replace the hardware or seek technical support.

3. Can a virus or malware cause cursor switching issues in Windows Vista?

Yes, it is possible for a virus or malware to cause cursor switching problems. Make sure to run a thorough scan of your computer using reputable antivirus software. If any threats are detected, follow the recommended steps to remove them and then restart your computer.

4. I recently updated to Windows Vista and now my cursor is constantly switching. What can I do?

It is possible that the update may have caused compatibility issues with your mouse or touchpad drivers. Try rolling back the update or reinstalling the drivers to see if that resolves the issue. You can also check for any known issues with the update on Microsoft's support website.

5. My cursor is stuck on a particular icon and won't switch to anything else. How do I fix this?

This could be due to a hardware issue, such as a sticky or damaged mouse button. If you are using a touchpad, try using an external mouse to see if the problem persists. You can also try adjusting the mouse sensitivity settings in the Control Panel. If the issue continues, it may be necessary to replace the hardware.