Calculation: rate, radius, length, density, viscosity, pressure HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the height needed for a blood transfusion using a tube, based on the given flow rate, needle diameter and length, and the properties of blood such as density and viscosity. The conversation also mentions various equations and attempts at solving the problem, including finding the pressure and using density and height to calculate the required height for the supply.
hcho88

Homework Statement

A patient is to be given a blood transfusion through a tube from a raised bottle to a needle inserted in a vein. The needle has an inner diameter of 0.5mm and is 4.0cm long. If the required blood flow rate is 4.0cm^3/minute, how high should the bottle be placed above the needle? The density of blood is 1.05x10^3 kg/m^3, its viscosity is 4.0x10^-3 Pa*s, and the patient's blood pressure is 2.70x10^3 Pa above the atmospheric pressure.

Homework Equations

Q = ([tex]\Pi[/tex]Pa^2) / (8[tex]\eta[/tex][tex]\ell[/tex])
Q = A[tex]\nu[/tex]
<im not sure if the ones below are relevant>
P + 0.5[tex]\rho[/tex]v^2 + [tex]\rho[/tex]gh = constant
h = Patm / ([tex]\rho[/tex]g)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried many different ways I could think of, but my answer was too big, something like 10m.
I tried to find v from the Q equations and subbed it into the constant equation to get h and I've also tried using only the Q equations to get the length, but all lead to failures.

The lastest I had a go at was finding h from
P + 0.5[tex]\rho[/tex]v^2 + [tex]\rho[/tex]gh = constant
and I got h to be 0.3m which seemed to make sense to me.
But I couldn't prove that this was happening with the given rate.

I also found the rate at the needle point using the Q equation, and found it to be 1x10^-6 m^3/s.
4.0 cm^3/minute = 2.4 m^3/s Is this correct?
If it is, I think 2.4 - (1x10^-6) would give a separate rate, for the tube.

I'm doing a lot of thinking but not getting anywhere.
I've been going in circles for a few hours trying to solve this.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure of that viscosity formula? (should be the 4th power of the radius.)

general method would be to calculate the required pressure across the needle, using the viscosity.
Then use density and height of the supply. (Let height = h) required to get that pressure.

What is the difference between rate and speed?

Rate is a measurement of how much something changes over time, while speed is the distance traveled over time. Rate is typically used for gradual changes, while speed is used for instantaneous changes.

How do you calculate radius?

Radius is the distance from the center of a circle to its outer edge. It can be calculated by dividing the diameter of the circle by 2, or by using the formula r = C/2π, where r is the radius and C is the circumference of the circle.

What is the relationship between length and distance?

Length is a measurement of how long something is, while distance is a measurement of how far apart two objects are. Length is usually used for smaller measurements, while distance is used for larger measurements.

What is density and how is it calculated?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained within a given volume. It is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume, or by using the formula ρ = m/V, where ρ is the density, m is the mass, and V is the volume.

How does viscosity affect flow rate?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. The higher the viscosity, the slower the flow rate will be. This is because the thicker the fluid, the more resistance it has against moving through a given space.