Who is the Greatest Racing Driver of All Time?

In summary, the conversation is about discussing who the best racing driver of all time is. Some people mention Ayrton Senna as their choice, while others bring up Michael Schumacher and Ralf Schumacher. One person argues that Alain Prost is actually the best due to his combination of skill and self-awareness. Another person makes a joke about a fictional driver named Raymond Babbet. One person suggests Jeff Ward as the best motorcross racer. The conversation ends with someone jokingly asking for a sponsor for their own racing team.
Andy
After reading a thread on this forum i thought that this would make a good thread for people to discuss who they feel is the best racing driver ever. This could be a Formula 1, Indy, Nascar or any other profesional racing driver. Dont want any fools claiming to be a better driver when nobody has ever heard of them.

For me Ayrton Senna was the best driver ever because he was Formula 1 world champion 3 times in 88,90,91 in a time when there where many great drivers racing against each other. And all of his fellow profesionals said that he was the best as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
i know i go against the concencus when i say "michael shumacher" (sp?) but he really is a good driver, just because you get a good car doesn't automatically put you on top, and he's really going at it this season and STILL doing well.! ralf is good too, he's in lesser car and doing well :)

of cours ei don't really speak from experiance, i only watch formula 1, no motoGP, le mans, NASCAR etc!

Michael Shumacher is a great driver, no denying that but he is racing at a time when there is very little serious competetion, who has really challenged shumacher to his last 2 titles noone. Whereas senna was racing at a time when there where many other great drivers and cars that where a lot more equally balanced, i also hear that he was able to step into almost any car and drive it very fast.

No Andy I don't think Senna was the best. He had the talent and the will to win but he thought he was invincible and that was his undoing.

The best is Alain Prost. He was as good as Senna in the driver's seat but in addition he knew his own limitations.

I vote for Raymond Babbet. Course,
he's an excellent driver.

What racing series does he race in, Raymond babbet that is.

Oh, his Dad let's him drive on
the driveway on Saturday. Yeah.
Slow, on the driveway. Course
he's an excellent driver. Yeah.

Zenardi? Anyone watch those Iroc races? I think he used to clean house against the drivers from the other circuits.

Oh, his Dad let's him drive on
the driveway on Saturday. Yeah.
Slow, on the driveway. Course
he's an excellent driver. Yeah.

I can't tell whether this is meant to be sarcastic or whether its meant to be serious, please explain.

Andy,

It's a joke, not sarcasm, though.

It's an allusion to the movie
"Rainman" with Dustin Hoffman and
Tom Cruise.

Dustin Hoffman plays Raymond Bab-
bit who is an autistic/savant.
Raymond is great with math and
memorization of things but he
doesn't know his limits. His father used to let him drive the
car slowly on the driveway. Now
Raymond believes he is a master
behind the wheel. He says of him-
self: "Course, I'm an excellent
driver. Yeah." whenever the subject comes up.

It might have made you smile if
you had seen the film.

-zoob

Maybe if i had seen it. will look out for the vid or dvd.

hehehe, trying to start a fight?

Anyhow, I do not really have an opinion on who the greatest driver is. To many variables that go into it. It would be easier to come up with a group of the greatest drivers.

And let me state this in the clear and open. I in no way shape or form consider myself the greatest driver, but I'm pretty good.

Anyone want to sponsor me in a race team?

I'm going to vote for a safe position, since you didn't exclude motorcross. Jeff Ward. Considered the Godfather of motorcross.

I don't think there is a more physically demanding form of competition racing then MX.

1. Who is considered to be the greatest racing driver of all time?

The title of "greatest racing driver of all time" is subjective and often debated among fans and experts. Some may argue that it is impossible to determine a single greatest driver due to the different eras, racing disciplines, and competition levels. However, some names that frequently come up in discussions include Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher, and Juan Manuel Fangio.

2. How is the greatest racing driver of all time determined?

There is no definitive way to determine the greatest racing driver of all time. Factors such as number of wins, championships, and overall skill and talent are often considered. However, these factors may vary depending on the discipline of racing, making it difficult to compare drivers from different eras and disciplines.

3. Are there any statistics or records that can determine the greatest racing driver of all time?

There are some statistics and records that can be used to compare drivers, such as number of wins, championships, and pole positions. However, these numbers only provide a partial picture and do not take into account other factors such as the level of competition, car reliability, and team support.

4. What makes a driver the greatest of all time?

There is no single factor that can determine the greatest racing driver of all time. It is a combination of talent, skill, consistency, adaptability, and the ability to perform under pressure. A driver's impact on the sport and their legacy may also be considered.

5. Can the greatest racing driver of all time ever be definitively determined?

It is unlikely that there will ever be a definitive answer to this question as it is largely subjective and based on personal opinions and preferences. Each individual may have their own criteria for what makes a driver the greatest of all time, making it difficult to come to a consensus.