Exploring the Science of Self Improvement: A Journey of Learning and Growth

• Thread starter cobalt124
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self
In summary, Cobalt124 is a married computer programmer from the north east of England. He is interested in learning and using methods of self improvement, and is looking for a community that will encourage and support him. He is excited to join the Physics Forums and hopes to find friendly and helpful members.
cobalt124
Hello, I'm a new member from the north east of England. I'll use my lunchbreak to say a bit about myself. I'm married with three kids, one dog, two cats, two gerbils, a gecko and a corn snake. I work in local government I.T., educated to degree level (Computer Science), layperson interested in logic, maths, physics, Computer Science, astronomy, brain science, philosophy in the main but not only. My purpose in joining is twofold: to learn (a lifelong journey) and to learn about and use methods of self improvement - hopefully I'll be able to help in return and also have a laugh along the way (fourfold). Physics Forums looks the perfect place to start. Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF, I hope you enjoy your time here. Nice to have another Brit amongst our membership!

If besides keeping animals you grow jalapeños you fit PF perfectly. Welcome.

Wasn't there something with fish too?

Welcome Cobalt124, Hmm isn't that a very heavy isotope. I thought that only 59 was stable.

No need for this intro! Just say "I'm a gordie lad" :biggrin: :tongue:

Welcome to the forum. :smile:... Yeah, aren't you interested in fish?!

Thankyou for the warm welcome.

Cristo: It's nice to be here

Borek: Yes, I've been looking at some of the posts in General Discussion you have a lot of animal lovers here.

Andre: Haha yes. The non-scientific explanation is my wife wanted to use cobalt as an online name, but it was always taken, so she settled with cobalt123. I just added one to have an easy to remember name.

Drizzle: Geordie lad? If so I'm a Yorkshireman complete with flat cap, but no whippet. If not I've just made a complete fool of myself.

Andre/Drizzle: Fish? We used to have a tropical fish tank full of neons, RTBs, gouramis catfish and others.

cobalt124 said:
I'm married with three kids, one dog, two cats, two gerbils, a gecko and a corn snake.

Have you consulted a doctor? It sounds as if your reproductive mechanism is a bit out of whack.

Danger said:
Have you consulted a doctor? It sounds as if your reproductive mechanism is a bit out of whack.

:rofl:

cobalt124 said:
...Andre/Drizzle: Fish? We used to have a tropical fish tank full of neons, RTBs, gouramis catfish and others.

Okaaay! I don't have a catfish smilie, but here you go!

fish2qn4.gif

You're now officially welcomed! :biggrin:

Hi, Danger, thanks for the diagnosis. My jaw dropped, then a big grin, and I'm utterly speechless (only temporary).

Ouch! Slapped with a catfish (its probably stuck to me). Thanks again, it's all going to be worth it, I'm sure.

cobalt124 said:
I'm utterly speechless (only temporary).

I'm glad to hear that it isn't permanent, for your sake. Speechlessness here is taken as a sign of weakness and will single you out as a target. Speaking your mind, on the other hand, makes you a worthy adversary. :wink:

Noted. I'm going to have plenty to talk about here.

Bring it on, lad. And not necessarily in an adversarial manner. Fresh viewpoints (as long as they don't fall into the "psychoceramics" category) are more than welcome here. They help to keep our minds sharp, and are advantageous to the youngsters who are here to learn. (Okay, I'm here primarily to learn as well, and I'm so old that I have to scrape the dinosaur **** off of the stone tablet to read my birth certificate. On the bright side, I'm a mere child by the standards of Turbo and Ivan and Intergral.)

What are some common methods of self improvement?

Some common methods of self improvement include setting goals, practicing mindfulness and self-reflection, seeking therapy or counseling, reading self-help books, and surrounding oneself with positive and supportive people.

How can I stay motivated while working on self improvement?

Staying motivated can be a challenge, but some ways to stay motivated while working on self improvement include setting realistic and achievable goals, celebrating small successes, and reminding yourself of the benefits and positive impact of your efforts.

Is it necessary to seek professional help for self improvement?

Seeking professional help for self improvement is a personal decision and may not be necessary for everyone. However, a therapist or counselor can provide valuable guidance and support in identifying and addressing underlying issues that may be hindering your self improvement efforts.

How long does it take to see results from self improvement methods?

The timeline for seeing results from self improvement methods can vary greatly depending on the individual and the specific method being used. It is important to remember that self improvement is a continuous process and results may not be immediate, but with consistency and dedication, progress can be made over time.

What are some potential barriers to self improvement?

Some potential barriers to self improvement may include lack of motivation, difficulty identifying and addressing underlying issues, fear of change, and a negative or unsupportive environment. It is important to recognize and address these barriers in order to make progress in self improvement.