How comprehensive is google scholar?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of traditional sources like Web of Science versus relying on Google for researching articles. It is mentioned that Google may not have access to all publications and a suggestion is made to use the online academic databases provided by universities. There is also a mention of a better way to find citation counts for specific authors, which may be through the university's library search.
Simfish
Gold Member
A few professors have tried to show me how to look up articles using the traditional sources (such as web of science). But yet, I've grown up on google and I've grown so accustomed to believing that Google has everything, even though it probably doesn't.

Are there a lot of articles that don't end up getting on there?

Is there a better way to find the citation count for a particular author?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Google doesn't get free access to every publication database. Search the online academic databases that your school probably pays a yearly subscription for their students to access.

Simfish said:
Is there a better way to find the citation count for a particular author?

You might try what your professors are showing you.

My university library provides a search over various journal databases with access to paid services that google won't provide you.

I'm sure your uni does something similar and that is 10x better than google.

Google Scholar is a comprehensive database for scholarly literature, but it may not include all articles published in the traditional sources such as Web of Science. This is because Google Scholar relies on algorithms to index and rank articles, whereas traditional sources have a more rigorous and manual process for selecting and indexing articles. Therefore, it is possible that some articles may not be included on Google Scholar.

In terms of citation count for a particular author, Google Scholar can provide a general estimate but it may not be accurate or up-to-date. A better way to find citation counts is to use a citation index database such as Web of Science or Scopus, which have more accurate and comprehensive citation data. However, these databases may require a subscription or access through a university or research institution.

In conclusion, while Google Scholar is a useful tool for finding scholarly articles, it is not the only source and may not be completely comprehensive. It is always best to use multiple sources and databases to ensure a comprehensive and accurate search for scholarly literature.

1. How does Google Scholar determine the comprehensiveness of its database?

Google Scholar uses a combination of web crawlers and partnerships with academic publishers to collect and index scholarly literature. It also relies on citations from other articles and the inclusion of the source in library collections to determine comprehensiveness.

2. Does Google Scholar include all types of scholarly literature?

Google Scholar primarily includes peer-reviewed journal articles, conference papers, and theses. However, it also includes books, book chapters, patents, and court opinions, though these may not be as comprehensive as other sources.

3. How often is Google Scholar updated?

Google Scholar's database is constantly updated, with new content being added on a daily basis. However, the frequency and comprehensiveness of updates may vary depending on the source and publisher.

4. Are there any limitations to Google Scholar's comprehensiveness?

While Google Scholar aims to be comprehensive, there are some limitations. It may not include all sources or may exclude certain disciplines or languages. Additionally, some sources may not be indexed due to copyright restrictions.

5. Can I trust the comprehensiveness of Google Scholar for my research?

Google Scholar is a useful tool for research, but it should not be relied upon as the sole source of information. It is always recommended to cross-check results with other databases and sources to ensure the comprehensiveness and accuracy of your research.