Determining Electric Charge of a Bullet in Earth's Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of an electrically charged bullet's magnitude and direction based on the Earth's magnetic field and its motion. The calculated value of the electric charge is negative, which is in accordance with the right hand rule. The book's answer may be incorrect.
cclement524
1. Homework Statement
In a certain region, the Earth's magnetic field has a magnitude of 5.30e-5 T and is directed north at an angle of 57° below the horizontal. An electrically charged bullet is fired north and 11° above the horizontal, with a speed of 681 m/s. The magnetic force on the bullet is 2.90e-10 N, directed due east. Determine the bullet's electric charge, including its algebraic sign (+ or −).

2. Homework Equations

q = f / vBsin(theta)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

q = 2.90e-10 N / (681)(5.30e-5)(sin 11+57)

-9e-9

My answer is negative according to the right hand rule.

I'm wrong, but I don't know where I went wrong. If you could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Even I think its negative. The book's answer seems wrong.

1. How is the electric charge of a bullet determined?

The electric charge of a bullet can be determined by measuring its velocity, mass, and the strength of the Earth's magnetic field. This information can be used to calculate the Lorentz force acting on the bullet, which is directly proportional to its charge.

2. What is the role of the Earth's magnetic field in determining the electric charge of a bullet?

The Earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in determining the electric charge of a bullet. This is because the Lorentz force, which is used to calculate the charge, is dependent on the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can the electric charge of a bullet change as it travels through the Earth's magnetic field?

Yes, the electric charge of a bullet can change as it travels through the Earth's magnetic field. This is because the Lorentz force, and therefore the charge, is affected by the speed and trajectory of the bullet as it moves through the field.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the electric charge of a bullet in Earth's magnetic field?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of determining the electric charge of a bullet in Earth's magnetic field. These include measurement errors, variations in the strength of the magnetic field, and external forces acting on the bullet.

5. How can the electric charge of a bullet in Earth's magnetic field be useful?

The ability to determine the electric charge of a bullet in Earth's magnetic field can be useful in various scientific and industrial applications. For example, it can help in the development of more efficient projectile weapons or in studying the effects of magnetic fields on charged particles in various environments.