Load on a journal bearing in a vertical shaft

In summary, a journal bearing for a vertical shaft will experience some level of loads that act on it. The bearing may also experience transient lateral loads during start up and shut down.
sainathadapa
i have to design a journal bearing for a vertical motor shaft. what loads act on these bearings? since the shaft is axial, are they any loads that act on the bearing. here i am talking about journal/plain bearing, not the thrust bearing which supports the vertical load. what type of failure we have to consider for the case?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Even if upright you would still have to do a vibrational analysis. I think it is called critical speed or something like that and make sure you are not operating at that speed for the shaft - best to be either above or below that speed. Reason being is that no shaft can be made perfectly round, or in another sense no shaft will have its axial centre of mass coincide with its geometric centre. Use the extreme tolerances of the shaft to do a calculation. And compare to that with what the journal bearing can tolerate.

Have you thought of how you would lubricate the upright journal?

the shaft is for a submersible motor, there is hydrodynamic lubrication for the journal bearings

There will be some level of rotor unbalance loads and probably some level of lateral loading resulting from whatever the motor is driving. I'm not certain of this, but I seem to recall motor designers commenting there is usually some level of unbalanced or non-symmetrical magnetic forces acting on a real motor's rotor. Non of these would normally be large, as in the weight of the rotor. During start up and shut down there may also be transient lateral loadings.

I'm not sure of this, but I think standard motors for vertical operation have pretty much the same lateral bearing capability as do standard horizontal operation motors. Of course that is probably due to economic reasons and not knowing what lateral loads may result from its application.

1. What is a journal bearing?

A journal bearing is a type of plain bearing that supports a rotating shaft by providing a smooth surface for the shaft to rotate on. It typically consists of a cylindrical sleeve and a rotating journal (or shaft) that are separated by a thin layer of lubricating oil.

2. How does the load on a journal bearing affect its performance?

The load on a journal bearing plays a crucial role in its performance. Too much load can cause excessive friction and wear, leading to premature failure. On the other hand, too little load can result in insufficient lubrication and cause the bearing to overheat and fail. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider and properly manage the load on a journal bearing.

3. What factors can affect the load on a journal bearing?

The load on a journal bearing can be affected by various factors, including the weight of the rotating equipment, the speed of rotation, the viscosity of the lubricant, and the surface roughness of the bearing and shaft. Other external factors, such as misalignment or shock loading, can also impact the load on a journal bearing.

4. How is the load on a journal bearing calculated?

The load on a journal bearing can be calculated using the formula W = C x P x L, where W is the load, C is the bearing capacity constant, P is the pressure or load per unit area, and L is the length of the bearing. The bearing capacity constant varies depending on the type of bearing and the operating conditions.

5. What are some common techniques for reducing the load on a journal bearing?

There are several techniques for reducing the load on a journal bearing, including using a larger bearing with a higher load capacity, improving the surface finish of the bearing and shaft, reducing the speed of rotation, and adjusting the lubrication system to ensure proper lubrication and cooling. It is also important to properly align and balance the equipment to minimize the load on the bearing.