Dealing with a Pesky Stray Cat: My Story

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
In summary: It's a natural product, smells nice, and isn't toxic to dogs or people.In summary, a cat is roaming the neighborhood and is apparently defecating and urinating in the pit that I built around my brick/sand laden fire-pit. I am trying to figure out what to do.
QuarkCharmer
As everyone who uses the internet, I too love kittens. Cats though, I am not so fond of, this is partially because they are the only thing on the planet that I am allergic to, otherwise, I would happily cohabitate with them.

Last summer I built a small deck surrounding a brick/sand laden fire-pit in my completely enclosed back yard. This summer, a vacant home down the street became non-vacant (to what looks like 50 people judging by the amount of cars and children there... but that is another story). With these family-oriented people, came their cat. It's a mangy looking himilayan (spelling?) type thing, that roams the neighborhood freely and has apparently decided that my backyard (namely, the pit) is the most desirable restroom in all of Florida. My dog consequently loves this, as cat-restroom is his new favorite restaurant!

I have sprayed this thing with the water-hose, yelled at it, done everything that I can think of in my power to keep it away, yet it's persistence has proven greater than my diligence or ingenuity.

I am trying to figure out what to do here. I am tempted to call animal control even. I don't see these "outside cats" as pets, as much as they are "strays" that people just "chose to feed". I cannot let my dog out to roam the streets on his own, why are cats an exception in society? I say this because I know that our animal laws prohibit this behavior, and I could just as easily get A.Control out to grab that cat as I could if it were a dog. I don't want to be that "cat hater" though.

Suggestions? Cat repellants?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cayenne pepper?

I've heard coyote pee works, but you'd have to reapply it after every rain. And it might freak out your dog.

Can you build some sort of cover for the pit?

Or maybe install motion-detecting sprinklers (or maybe lights)?

Or maybe line the pit with wire mesh, like chicken wire. It can sit just below the sand surface so it won't show. It might deter the cat from digging there.

I think the wire idea would be pretty cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

Petco (or a major pet store) should have outdoor-capable cat repellants. We used some in our garden growing up as the cats loved to chew on vegetable leaves (which aren't always good for them).

What is the best way to deal with a stray cat?

The best way to deal with a stray cat is to first assess the situation. If the cat appears to be injured or sick, it's best to contact animal control or a local animal rescue organization for help. If the cat seems healthy and friendly, you can try to approach it slowly and offer food or treats to gain its trust. If the cat seems aggressive or scared, it's best to leave it alone and contact a professional for assistance.

How can I safely catch a stray cat?

The safest way to catch a stray cat is to use a humane trap. These traps can be purchased or rented from animal shelters or rescue organizations. Make sure to bait the trap with something appealing to the cat, such as wet food or tuna. Once the cat is caught, be sure to handle it carefully and bring it to a veterinarian for a check-up.

What should I do if a stray cat keeps coming into my yard?

If a stray cat keeps coming into your yard, it's likely because it has found a source of food or shelter. The best way to discourage the cat from returning is to remove any potential food sources, such as garbage or pet food left outside. You can also try using deterrents, such as motion-activated sprinklers or noise-making devices, to keep the cat away.

How can I tell if a stray cat is feral or a lost pet?

It can be difficult to tell if a stray cat is feral or a lost pet, as they may exhibit similar behaviors. Look for signs of socialization, such as the cat approaching you for food or allowing you to pet it. Feral cats are typically more skittish and avoid human contact. If you are unsure, you can try to capture the cat and bring it to a veterinarian or animal shelter to check for a microchip.

What should I do if I want to adopt a stray cat?

If you want to adopt a stray cat, it's important to first make sure that it is not someone's lost pet. You can check for a microchip or post flyers in the area. If the cat is truly a stray, you can bring it to a veterinarian for a check-up and to get it spayed or neutered. Then, you can work with a local animal shelter or rescue organization to find the cat a loving forever home.