Specifics of Fields in Physics

In summary, the speaker is looking for information on the specific fields of theoretical physics, but has been unable to find a comprehensive answer. They are asking for help in finding a resource that outlines all the general fields and sub-fields in theoretical physics, along with a description of what physicists in each field do. They have shared a concept map with hyperlinks as an example of what they are looking for.
Lhoto
The question has been asked many times; what fields are in physics. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find an answer, so here I am. I'm thinking about going into physics, specifically a form of theoretical physics, but I find myself unable to find more specifics on general fields (I also believe I missed several of the general fields during my brief research). I know I'm asking for a lot, but could someone please either post, or link me to a post that shows all the general fields of theoretical physics, along with the sub-fields and a general description of the field/what physicists in that field do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much!

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of subatomic particles. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws and can predict the exact position and momentum of a particle, while quantum mechanics is probabilistic and can only predict the likelihood of a particle's position or momentum. Additionally, classical mechanics does not account for the wave-particle duality of particles, while quantum mechanics does.

2. What is the significance of electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism?

Electric and magnetic fields are fundamental to understanding electromagnetism. They are both created by charged particles and can interact with each other. Electric fields are responsible for the attraction or repulsion of charged objects, while magnetic fields can cause charged particles to move in a circular path. Together, electric and magnetic fields form electromagnetic waves, which are responsible for phenomena such as light and radio waves.

3. Can you explain the difference between scalar and vector fields?

A scalar field is a physical quantity that has a magnitude but no direction, such as temperature or pressure. It is represented by a single value at each point in space. On the other hand, a vector field is a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force. It is represented by a vector at each point in space, with the direction of the vector indicating the direction of the quantity at that point.

4. How do the laws of thermodynamics apply to different fields in physics?

The laws of thermodynamics, which govern the transfer of energy in a system, apply to all fields in physics. In classical mechanics, the laws of thermodynamics explain the behavior of macroscopic systems. In quantum mechanics, they are essential for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles. In electromagnetism, the laws of thermodynamics are used to explain the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. In general, the laws of thermodynamics play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of all physical systems, regardless of the field.

5. What is the concept of potential energy in different fields of physics?

Potential energy is a fundamental concept in all fields of physics. In classical mechanics, potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration in a gravitational or electric field. In electromagnetism, potential energy is the energy stored in an electric or magnetic field. In quantum mechanics, potential energy is a component of the total energy of a particle in a potential well. Understanding potential energy is crucial for understanding the behavior of systems in all fields of physics.