Career in teaching physics/comp sci.

In summary, the speaker is a high school senior who has decided to study computer science and physics in college and is considering becoming a teacher. They are curious about the opinions of current teachers and the potential challenges of the job, such as low pay and the social aspect of studying STEM subjects. They have also done some research on teacher pay and have learned that it is not as low as commonly believed, and there are opportunities for loan forgiveness. Some concerns include being paid the same as a gym teacher and limited upward mobility without pursuing administration roles. They also mention the salaries of other skilled trades for comparison.
fiber
hello!

i am a senior in high school getting ready for college. on that note I've already selected what i want to study: computer science and physics. after much thinking and inspiration from my current math/physics teacher i think i want to become a teacher myself.

i was wondering how teachers here feel about their career choice. is the low pay really that that bad? (i'm the opposite of a materialist so imo it won't be a problem)

also, one thing is that i am very much a people person and I've heard that college studying physics and computer science is not the most social of majors. does anyone have different views on this?

thanks alot!

-fiber

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not yet a teacher, but I am majoring in math education (only a sophmore right now though). I have done some research on teacher pay, and the pay really is not that bad. Most teachers make about 30k/yr starting out (except for CA and a few other states). And this is for working 9 months a year, not to mention all of the holidays and breaks :smile: Also, if you teach at a "failing" or "low-income" school for five years, you can have certain college loans (perkins, and some others) paid off for free along with receiving the usual salary. If you really want to be a teacher, go for it. :cool:

What sucks about the pay is you're getting paid as much as the jock gym teacher who breezed through college with physical education classes. Doesn't do much for the ego. Also you hit a ceiling unless you go into administration.

Most teachers make about 30k/yr starting out

How much do plumbers, electricians and HVAC people make ?

1. What qualifications are required to become a physics/comp sci teacher?

To become a physics/comp sci teacher, you typically need a bachelor's degree in either physics or computer science, as well as a teaching certification or license. Some states may also require a master's degree in education or a related field.

2. What skills are important for a successful career in teaching physics/comp sci?

Some important skills for a career in teaching physics/comp sci include strong subject knowledge, communication skills, patience, problem-solving abilities, and adaptability. It is also important to be passionate about teaching and helping students learn.

3. What is the job outlook for physics/comp sci teachers?

The job outlook for physics/comp sci teachers is generally positive, with a projected growth rate of 4-6% over the next decade. This demand is driven by the increasing importance of STEM education and the need for qualified teachers in these subject areas.

4. What is the typical salary for a physics/comp sci teacher?

The average salary for a physics/comp sci teacher varies depending on location, education level, and experience. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for high school teachers in 2020 was $62,870.

5. What are some potential career opportunities for physics/comp sci teachers?

Besides teaching in a traditional classroom setting, physics/comp sci teachers may also have opportunities to work in curriculum development, educational technology, or educational research. They may also pursue advanced degrees and become professors at colleges or universities.