Solve this system of equations

In summary, Daniel struggled with this problem and did not get the solution correct the first time. He found the solution the fourth time by using the Gauss-Jordan method.
SomeRandomGuy
0a - 2b + 3c = 1
3a + 6b - 3c = -2
6a + 6b + 3c = 5

I got a = 3, b = 3/2, c = -4/3 but the book says that this system is inconsistent. It asks us to use Gauss-Jordan elimination (which I have used on the past 5 or so problems and got all the right answers). I know how to do these, I just don't see where my mistake is. I am probably looking over some very simplistic reason why it is inconsistent... Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The numbers you have found are not the solutions of this system , because they don't give correct results, if put in any of the equations of the system. And a solution of any system must give correct results for all the equations, so if you find a solution (a,b,c) this must be a solution for all the equations.
In your problem you can multiply the second equation with -2 and then add it with the third one(Gauss method). Your system ends up like this:
| 0a-2b+3c=1 | 0a-2b+3c=1
| -6a-12b+6c=4 <=>| -6a-12b+6c=4
| 6a+6b+3c=5 | -6b+9c=9

the last equation can be written like this: -2b+3c=3
So if you add the first one and the {[-2b+3c=3] multiplied with -1} you get 0=-2
This last one is actually this equation : 0a+0b+0c=-2. So the initial system has the same solutions as this system:
0a+0b+0c=-2
-6a-12b+6c=4
-6b+9c=9

obviously this system is inconsistent, so the initial one is also inconsistent as they are equivalent

Last edited:
For us to see your mistake you would have to show us your arithemtic. How many times have you repeated the calculations?

I don't know why you struggled so much,the determinant of the coefficients is zero,therefore,no unique solution.

Daniel.

The detrminant of the coefficient matrix is equal to zero. Since the matrix is singular, the system is inconsistent.

The detrminant of the coefficient matrix is equal to zero. Since the matrix is singular, the system is inconsistent.

Not always.

lol thanks guys but I don't know what a determinant is yet (that's chapter 2). I have tried it twice, and have gotten the same result both times...

EDIT: Thanks for your help guys, but on my 4th attempt, I found it to be inconsistent. I don't know what I did wrong the other way because I did it a different way this time. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Last edited:
It's amazing how simple a problem can be the 4th time around.

If I had a dollar for every simple error like that I've made...

1. How do I solve a system of equations?

To solve a system of equations, you need to find values for the variables that make both equations true at the same time. This can be done by using methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing.

2. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear system of equations?

A linear system of equations has variables raised to the first power, and all equations are straight lines when graphed. A non-linear system of equations has variables raised to a power other than one, and the equations may result in curved lines when graphed.

3. Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. One solution means that there is a unique set of values for the variables that satisfy both equations. Infinite solutions mean that any value for one variable will result in a solution for the other variable. No solution means that there is no set of values that satisfy both equations.

4. What is the best method for solving a system of equations?

The best method for solving a system of equations depends on the type of equations and the preferences of the solver. Substitution is useful when one of the equations can be solved for a variable. Elimination is useful when the coefficients of one variable are opposites. Graphing is useful for visualizing the solutions.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a system of equations?

Yes, many calculators have built-in functions for solving systems of equations. However, it is still important to understand the concepts and methods behind solving these equations in order to check the accuracy of the calculator's solutions.