What Is 6 MPm? - Hammer Capacity Explained

• Thread starter MalliCk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, the conversation discussed a 6 tons counter blow hammer with a plate indicating a capacity of "6 MPm". The speaker was unable to determine the meaning of MPm and found two different ways of specifying the energy delivered by such hammers. After searching online, it was discovered that MPM may not refer to the capacity but could be part of a model number. Further research suggests that it could stand for MegaPond-metre, similar to the unit of kgm.
MalliCk
Recently i saw a 6 tons counter blow hammer, having a plate coupled stating its capacity as "6 MPm". I tried working out this MPm but could not get any clue. Can anyone please tell me what this MPm is about?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I found two different ways used to specify energy delivered by a counterblow hammer:
“impact energy of 1470 kJ” and, “Energy of full blow: 7000 kgm”

As far as I can determine from searching counterblow hammers is that "MPM" is not a capacity. It appears to be part of a model number. Here is where searching on Google “MPm” shows up:

http://www.bikudo.com/buy/details/395472/huta_zygmunt_forging_hammer_mpm_6300b.html

Well i was also googling for a while but could get any significant answer, somehow i came to know it does define capacity, i think you may also have a look.

http://www.machine-world.net/machine.asp?mid=46&sid=49
Sr. 13

But still i am not clear about that perhaps it is MegaPond-metre, similar to that of kgm.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is 6 MPm?

6 MPm stands for 6 million pounds per meter, and it is a unit of measurement used to describe the hammer capacity of a pile driver. It measures the maximum amount of force that the hammer can exert on the pile per meter of drop.

What is a hammer capacity?

A hammer capacity is the maximum amount of force that a pile driver's hammer can exert on a pile. It is measured in units of weight or energy, such as pounds or joules.

How is hammer capacity determined?

The hammer capacity of a pile driver is determined by several factors, including the weight of the hammer, the height from which it is dropped, and the strength of the materials it is made of. A higher hammer capacity means that the pile driver can exert more force on the pile, which can be useful for driving larger or deeper piles.

Why is hammer capacity important?

Hammer capacity is important because it directly affects the efficiency and effectiveness of a pile driving operation. A higher hammer capacity means that the pile driver can drive larger or deeper piles, which can be crucial for certain construction projects.

What are some common hammer capacities for pile drivers?

The hammer capacity of a pile driver can vary greatly depending on its size and purpose. However, some common hammer capacities range from 1 MPm (1 million pounds per meter) to 10 MPm (10 million pounds per meter). Larger pile drivers used for heavy-duty projects can have even higher hammer capacities, up to 40 MPm or more.