How do quarter wave resonant cavities work in duplexers and filters?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of resonant cavities in microwave engineering and how they are applied in the radio telecommunications field. It is noted that these cavities need to be an integer multiple of the electrical half-wavelength to satisfy boundary conditions at the metal walls. However, the equivalent circuit for such cavities is drawn as back to back quarter wave sections, each starting from the center. This raises questions about how quarter wave cavities work and if they can be combined to create a half wave resonator. The derivation of the equivalent circuit for 1/4 wave cavities is also discussed, with a mention of the difference between coaxial quarter wave resonators and 1/4 wave cavities.
FrankJ777
I've been self studying microwave engineering for a little while, and also I work in the radio telecommunications field. I try to relate what I've learned in the book to what I encounter in out in the field. Recently I was studying resonant cavities. From what I thought I understood about them, they need to be an integer multiple of the electrical half-wavelength to accommodate the electric field zero at the conductor walls. I notice at work we commonly use duplexes, bandpass and reject filters, that in the literature says they are quarter wave cavities. Can anyone explain how a quarter wave cavity would work, as it don't think there would be a zero electric field at the conducting walls.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are right to notice that, in order to satisfy boundary condition at metal walls, we need half wavelength from wall to wall.

However, the equivalent circuit for such cavity is drawn as back to back quarter wave sections, each starting from the center.

Thanks emi guy. I'm trying to understand your description.

the_emi_guy said:
You are right to notice that, in order to satisfy boundary condition at metal walls, we need half wavelength from wall to wall.

However, the equivalent circuit for such cavity is drawn as back to back quarter wave sections, each starting from the center.

I notice these duplexers have two 1/4 wave cavities on each side, the low pass side and high pass side. You don't mean that the two quarter wave cavities make a 1/2 wave resonator do you? If not do you know where I can find the derivation of the equivalent circuit? In my textbook (Pozar), a coaxial quarter wave resonator is derived, but not the 1/4 wave cavity. I assume they work quite differently, eg TEM vs. TE, TM mode.

1. What is a quarter wave resonant cavity?

A quarter wave resonant cavity is a type of electromagnetic resonator that is designed to produce a standing wave pattern with a quarter wavelength between the two ends of the cavity. This creates a resonant frequency that can be used in various applications such as filters, oscillators, and antennas.

2. How does a quarter wave resonant cavity work?

A quarter wave resonant cavity works by trapping and reflecting electromagnetic waves between its two ends. When the distance between the two ends is equal to a quarter wavelength of the desired frequency, the standing wave pattern is formed and the energy is trapped and amplified within the cavity.

3. What are the benefits of using a quarter wave resonant cavity?

One of the main benefits of using a quarter wave resonant cavity is its ability to select and amplify a specific frequency. This makes it useful in filtering out unwanted frequencies in communication systems. It also has a high Q factor, which means it has a narrow bandwidth and can provide a more precise and stable frequency output.

4. What are some common applications of quarter wave resonant cavities?

Quarter wave resonant cavities have a wide range of applications in various fields such as telecommunications, radar systems, and microwave engineering. They are commonly used as filters, oscillators, and antennas in these systems to select and amplify specific frequencies.

5. How is a quarter wave resonant cavity designed and constructed?

A quarter wave resonant cavity is designed and constructed based on the desired resonant frequency. The length of the cavity is calculated using the formula λ/4, where λ is the wavelength of the desired frequency. The cavity is then constructed using conductive materials such as metal to form a closed space. The two ends of the cavity are usually made of conductive plates, with one end being adjustable to fine-tune the resonant frequency.