Antenna gain and tv Resistance requirements

In summary, we used formulas to calculate the minimum antenna gain and Req for a television receiver with given specifications.
Mastur

Homework Statement

A satellite link has a transmitted power output of 0.5W. This power is increased in the direction of transmission by the transmitter antenna, which has a 20dB gain. The RF signal is attenuated by a path loss of 200 dB. The total noise level at the receiver input is estimated to be 2dBf. The desired SNR at the input receiver is 15dB. Determine the min. antenna gain G(dB) that will meet the specifications

The front end of a television receiver, having a bandwidth of 7 MHz and operating at a temperature of 27°C, consists of an amplifier having a gain of 15 followed by a mixer whose gain is 20.The amplifier has a 300-Ω input resistor and a shot noise equivalent resistance of 500 Ω. For the converter, these values are 2.2 kΩ and 13.5 kΩ respectively, the converter load resistanceis 470 kΩ. Calculate Req for this television receiver

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea on how to do it. I was thinking of getting the antenna gain in the receiver then get the sum of receiver input and output to 0. Unfortunately, I do not know how to convert SNR to antenna gain.

In the second problem, I totally got no idea.

The answer was given to us, which is 50dB and 875ohms respectively.

Please guide me to achieve the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

For the first problem, you can use the following formula to calculate the minimum antenna gain G(dB) that will meet the specifications:

G(dB) = SNR(dB) - (noise level at receiver input - 10log(Pt) + PL)

Where SNR is the desired signal-to-noise ratio (15 dB in this case), noise level at receiver input is 2 dBf (convert to dB using the formula dB = 10log(F) where F is the noise level in watts), Pt is the transmitted power (0.5 W in this case), and PL is the path loss (200 dB in this case).

So, plugging in the values, we get:

G(dB) = 15 dB - (2 dBf - 10log(0.5 W) + 200 dB) = 15 dB - (2 dBf - (-3 dB)) = 15 dB - (-5 dBf) = 20 dBf

Therefore, the minimum antenna gain required is 20 dB.

For the second problem, you can use the following formula to calculate Req:

Req = (R1 + R2)/(1 + R2/R1)

Where R1 is the input resistance of the amplifier (300 Ω) and R2 is the shot noise equivalent resistance (500 Ω).

Req = (300 Ω + 500 Ω)/(1 + 500 Ω/300 Ω) = 800 Ω

Now, for the mixer, we can use the following formula to calculate Req:

Req = (R1 + R2)/(1 + R2/R1)

Where R1 is the input resistance of the mixer (2.2 kΩ) and R2 is the load resistance (470 kΩ).

Req = (2.2 kΩ + 470 kΩ)/(1 + 470 kΩ/2.2 kΩ) = 875 Ω

Therefore, the total Req for the television receiver is 875 Ω.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is antenna gain and why is it important for TV reception?

Antenna gain refers to the measure of how well an antenna can transmit and receive electromagnetic signals. It is important for TV reception because it determines the strength of the signal that the antenna can pick up from the TV station.

2. How is antenna gain measured?

Antenna gain is measured in decibels (dB), which is a logarithmic unit. The higher the gain, the stronger the signal that the antenna can pick up. A gain of 0 dB means that the antenna has no directional preference, while a gain of 10 dB means that the antenna can pick up signals 10 times stronger than one with 0 dB gain.

3. What factors affect antenna gain?

The size and shape of the antenna, its orientation, and its location all affect antenna gain. A larger antenna with more elements and a directional design will typically have a higher gain. The placement of the antenna, as well as any obstructions such as buildings or trees, can also impact the antenna's gain.

4. What is the relationship between antenna gain and TV resistance requirements?

TV resistance requirements refer to the minimum resistance, measured in ohms, that the TV needs to operate properly. Antennas with higher gain may require a higher TV resistance in order to function effectively. This is because a higher gain antenna may pick up stronger signals, which could cause the TV to overload if it does not have a high enough resistance.

5. Can antenna gain be increased to improve TV reception?

Yes, antenna gain can be increased by using a higher gain antenna, improving the antenna's placement or orientation, or using a signal amplifier. However, it is important to note that increasing antenna gain does not guarantee better TV reception. Factors such as distance from the TV station and interference from other electronic devices can also impact TV reception.