Question about Wronskians

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
In summary, having a Wronskian of 0 does not necessarily imply linear dependence for a set of functions in ##C^{\infty}##, and functions in ##C^{\infty}## are not necessarily analytic.
Bipolarity
Suppose I have some functions ## \{ y,y_{1},y_{2},...y_{n} \} \subset C^{∞} ## and suppose I know that the Wronskian of these functions is 0. Then can I conclude that these functions are linearly dependent?

Certainly this need not be true for an arbitrary set of functions, but it appears that it is true for analytic functions. My knowledge of these functions is very limited so I won't pursue it much, but are functions in ## C^{∞} ## considered analytic?

Thanks for the clarification.

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
Suppose I have some functions ## \{ y,y_{1},y_{2},...y_{n} \} \subset C^{∞} ## and suppose I know that the Wronskian of these functions is 0. Then can I conclude that these functions are linearly dependent?

Certainly this need not be true for an arbitrary set of functions, but it appears that it is true for analytic functions. My knowledge of these functions is very limited so I won't pursue it much, but are functions in ## C^{∞} ## considered analytic?

Thanks for the clarification.

BiP
Functions in ##C^{\infty}## are considered smooth, but not necessarily analytic. See here for details.

If the Wronskian is 0, the functions are not necessarily linearly dependent. For example, consider ##x^2## and ##x|x|##, the classical example given by Peano. Their Wronskian is 0, but they are clearly independent in any neighborhood of 0.

1. What is a Wronskian?

A Wronskian is a mathematical tool used to determine the linear independence of a set of functions. It is denoted by the symbol W and is calculated by taking the determinant of a matrix formed by the functions and their derivatives.

2. How do you use a Wronskian?

To use a Wronskian, you first need to determine the set of functions you are working with. Then, you can calculate the Wronskian by taking the determinant of the matrix formed by these functions and their derivatives. If the Wronskian is equal to zero, the functions are linearly dependent. If it is not equal to zero, the functions are linearly independent.

3. What is the significance of the Wronskian?

The Wronskian is significant because it helps us determine the linear independence of a set of functions. This is important in many areas of mathematics, including differential equations, linear algebra, and calculus.

4. Can the Wronskian be used for non-linear functions?

No, the Wronskian is only applicable for linear functions. If the functions are non-linear, the Wronskian will not provide accurate information about their linear independence.

5. How is the Wronskian related to the general solution of a linear homogeneous differential equation?

The Wronskian is related to the general solution of a linear homogeneous differential equation in that it can be used to determine a set of linearly independent solutions. These solutions can then be combined to form the general solution of the differential equation.