Confusion about the definition of adjoint representation and roots.

In summary, the adjoint representation can be defined in two ways: as a matrix representation with the same number of dimensions as the generators, or as a transformation property where the generators may not have the same dimensions. This can lead to confusion when discussing other properties of the Lie algebra, such as roots or weights. The adjoint operation of the Lie group is left multiplication, while the adjoint operation of the Lie algebra is differentiation.
AlbertEi
Hi,

I'm getting a bit confused about the adjoint representation. I learned about Lie algrebras using the book by Howard Georgi (i.e. it is very "physics-like" and we did not distinguish between the abstract approach to group theory and the matrix approach to group theory). He defines the adjoint as follows:

\begin{equation}
[T_a]_{bc} = i f_{abc} T_c
\end{equation}

where $T_i$ are the generators and $f_abc$ are the structure constants. This definition clearly means that matrix in the adjoint representation must have the same amount of dimensions as there are generators. However, recently I have reading some papers where they talk about the adjoint representation of for instance the Higgs field $\phi$ as follows:

\begin{equation}
\phi=\phi^a T^a
\end{equation}

with the following transformation properties:

\begin{equation}
\phi \mapsto g \phi g^{-1}
\end{equation}

where the generators do not necessarily have to be of the same dimensions as the number of generators. I understand that this basically just means that $\phi$ always takes values in the Lie algebra, but I think it is really odd that two very different properties of the Lie algebra have been given the same name. My confusion even grows further when they discuss roots/weight. More specifically, are the eigenvalues of the latter generators called roots or weights?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The development is as follows (##G## Lie group, ##\mathfrak{g}## Lie algebra, left-invariant vector fields, tangent space):
##G## operates on itself via ##g.h := ghg^{-1}##
##G## operates on its tangent space ##\mathfrak{g}## by the induced operation: ##g.X:=gXg^{-1}=\operatorname{Ad}(g)(X)##
##\mathfrak{g}## operates on itself by the per differentiation induced operation: ##X.Y:=[X,Y]=XY-YX=\mathfrak{ad}(X)(Y)##
The latter operations are called adjoint operations of the Lie group, resp. the Lie algebra. So the adjoint representation of the Lie algebra on itself is just the left multiplication in the algebra.

Compare:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/pantheon-derivatives-part-iv/https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/journey-manifold-su2mathbbc-part/https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/lie-algebras-a-walkthrough-the-basics/

1. What is the adjoint representation?

The adjoint representation is a mathematical tool used in Lie algebra to study the symmetries and transformations of a given group. It maps the elements of a group to a set of linear transformations on the group's Lie algebra.

2. How is the adjoint representation related to roots?

The adjoint representation is closely related to the concept of roots in Lie algebra. In fact, the roots can be seen as the eigenvalues of the adjoint representation. They also play a crucial role in the classification of semisimple Lie algebras.

3. What is the difference between the adjoint representation and the fundamental representation?

The fundamental representation is a linear representation that maps the group elements to matrices, while the adjoint representation maps the group elements to linear transformations on the Lie algebra. Additionally, the fundamental representation is irreducible, while the adjoint representation is not necessarily irreducible.

4. How is the adjoint representation used in physics?

The adjoint representation has various applications in physics, particularly in the study of symmetries and conservation laws. It is used in quantum field theory, gauge theories, and the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. What is the significance of the adjoint representation in symmetry breaking?

The adjoint representation is used to study symmetry breaking in physics and mathematics. It is particularly useful in the study of spontaneous symmetry breaking, where the symmetries of a system are broken without any external influence. The roots of the adjoint representation play a crucial role in determining the pattern of symmetry breaking in a given system.