Null Space of a Matrix and Its Iterates

In summary: So the null space will be the same.In summary, the conversation discusses whether the null space of a matrix and its Gaussian elimination transforms are the same. It is confirmed that they are, and the proof involves showing that the elementary transformations do not change the solution of the system of linear equations represented by the matrix. The conversation also mentions that this concept can apply to other decompositions and arbitrary iterations. The concept of elementary matrices is also explained.
muzak
This might seem like a stupid question but would the null space of a matrix and its, say Gaussian elimination transforms, have the same null space. I guess, I am asking if this is valid:

Let x be in N(A). Let A[itex]_{m}[/itex] be some iteration of A through elimination matrices, i.e. A[itex]_{m}[/itex] = E[itex]_{1}[/itex]E[itex]_{2}[/itex]...E[itex]_{m}[/itex]A. Is N(A) = N(A[itex]_{m}[/itex])?

Seems like an obvious answer with a sort of obvious proof involving expanding A[itex]_{m}[/itex] to the elimination matrices multiplied by the original A and showing that since x is in A's nullspace, you just have elimination matrices being multiplied by the zero vector. Is this correct? And if it is, can it apply to other decompositions such as QR via Householder? Can it apply to any arbitrary iterate, 1st, 2nd, etc.?

Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
The null-space is the kernel of a matrix if I'm not mistaken, and yes, the original matrix and the transformed matrix have the same kernel. As for the proof, it's fairly simple, you just let the original matrix represent a system of linear equations, and then prove that any of the three elementary transformations don't change the solution of the system, which also means the kernel remains the same.

Each of the [itex]E_i[/itex] is an "elementary matrix" corresponding to some row operation. That is, it is the matrix we get by applying that row operation to the identity matrix. Every row operation has an inverse operation and so every elementary matrix is invertible.
(There are three kinds of row operations:
1) Multiply a row by some non-zero number, a. The inverse is to multiply that same row by 1/a.
2) Swap two rows. The inverse is the same- swap those same two rows.
3) Add a multiple, a, of row i to row j. the inverse is to add -a times row ix to row j.)

If Ax= 0, then, of course, [itex]E_1E_2...E_nAx= 0[/itex]. And, because the [itex]E_i[/itex] matrices are invertible, if Ax is NOT 0, then neither is [itex]E_1E_2...E_nAx= 0[/itex].

What is the null space of a matrix?

The null space of a matrix is the set of all vectors that, when multiplied by the matrix, equal the zero vector. In other words, it is the set of all solutions to the homogeneous equation Ax=0, where A is the given matrix.

How is the null space related to the columns of a matrix?

The null space of a matrix is closely related to the linear independence of its columns. If the columns of a matrix are linearly independent, then the null space will only contain the zero vector. On the other hand, if the columns are linearly dependent, then the null space will contain infinitely many vectors.

How do you find the null space of a matrix?

To find the null space of a matrix, you can use Gaussian elimination or row reduction to put the matrix in reduced row echelon form. The columns corresponding to the pivot positions will form a basis for the null space. Alternatively, you can also use the nullity-rank theorem to determine the dimension of the null space.

What are the properties of the null space of a matrix?

The null space of a matrix has several important properties. First, it is a subspace of the vector space on which the matrix operates. Second, the dimension of the null space is equal to the number of free variables in the reduced row echelon form of the matrix. Finally, the null space is always orthogonal to the row space of the matrix.

What are the iterates of a matrix?

The iterates of a matrix refer to the repeated multiplication of the matrix by itself. For example, if we have a matrix A, then A^2 represents the result of multiplying A by itself, and A^3 represents the result of multiplying A^2 by A, and so on. These iterates can be useful in solving equations involving matrices, particularly in finding solutions to eigenvalue and eigenvector problems.