How Can I Automatically Load .mat Files in MATLAB?

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to automatically load a large number of *.mat files into MATLAB. The options suggested include using the load command or the "what" command in combination with a for loop. These methods can save time and effort compared to manually loading each individual file.
mathia
Hi,

I have some *.mat files and I need to read them automatically, they are like:
PT2020-RSK1.778-ZONE49.8962.mat
PT2020-RSK2.776-ZONE47.5451.mat
PT2020-RSK3.776-ZONE46.041.mat
PT2020-RSK4.7695-ZONE56.5417.mat
PT2020-RSK5.7667-ZONE48.1113.mat

Are there any ways to load them into MATLAB automatically?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Mathias

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the load command. If you want them loaded from a script try something like
Code:
load [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]PT2020-RSK1.778-ZONE49.8962.mat[/COLOR];
if you want them to always be in your workspace you can put the load command in your startup.m.

Thanks, But I want to load them automatically, I don't want to type the name of each individual mat file because I have 100000 mat files.

Put them in all in one directory then and play with the "what" command. So you'd do something like:

K = what(directory)

And now K will be a structure with the filenames, then you can just go through each K.mat with a for loop

for example:

for i = 1:length(K.mat)

load(K.mat{i})

(do stuff with it)

end

Hi Mathias,

Yes, there are several ways to load *.mat files into MATLAB automatically. One method is to use the "load" function, which allows you to specify the file name as an input. For example, you could use the following code:

data = load('PT2020-RSK1.778-ZONE49.8962.mat');

This will load the contents of the *.mat file into the variable "data". You can then access the data within the file using the appropriate variable names.

Another method is to use the "dir" function to obtain a list of all the *.mat files in a specific directory, and then use a for loop to load each file one by one. This may be more useful if you have a large number of files to load.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

1. How do I load a mat file in Matlab?

To load a mat file in Matlab, you can use the "load" function and specify the name of the file as the input. For example, if your file is named "data.mat", you would enter "load data.mat" in the command window. This will load the variables stored in the mat file into your workspace.

2. Can I load multiple mat files at once in Matlab?

Yes, you can load multiple mat files at once in Matlab by using the "load" function with a cell array of file names as the input. For example, if you have three mat files named "data1.mat", "data2.mat", and "data3.mat", you would enter "load {'data1.mat', 'data2.mat', 'data3.mat'}" in the command window.

3. How do I specify the variables to load from a mat file in Matlab?

You can use the "load" function with the "-mat" option to specify the variables you want to load from a mat file. For example, if your mat file contains variables "x" and "y", you would enter "load -mat data.mat x y" in the command window to load only those two variables.

4. What if I want to save the variables from my mat file with a different name?

You can use the "load" function with the "-mat" option and specify the new variable names after the file name. For example, if you want to save the variable "x" from your mat file as "new_x", you would enter "load -mat data.mat new_x=x" in the command window.

5. Can I load a mat file from a different directory in Matlab?

Yes, you can specify the path to the mat file when using the "load" function in Matlab. For example, if your mat file is located in the "Documents" folder, you would enter "load Documents/data.mat" in the command window.