How can I calculate the range and trajectory of a ping pong ball launcher?

In summary, the group is trying to build a ping pong ball launcher, and they're having difficulty with some of the calculations. They're also having trouble with the ball dropping into the tube, and they're not sure how to calculate the drag force on the TT ball through the air.
chris_tams
Hi there. I'm at bath uni. Our group is building a ping pong ball launcher. Here are some issues we encountered.

If the ball is to drop vertically into a 40mm tube with air flowing at 6bar(does this mean anything?) will it drop in or will it blow back out.

Also I'm not to sure how to calculate the drag force on the TT ball through the air. I need to calculate its range and trajectory. Obviously this will change when spinning. Is it possible to take spinning into account on paper?

Is there a standard integral i need to calculate the drag at each velocity?

Any help will do.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
They won't thank you here for cross-posting.

However, you will be forgiven, since you're from Worksop.

chris_tams said:
If the ball is to drop vertically into a 40mm tube with air flowing at 6bar(does this mean anything?) will it drop in or will it blow back out.
Think about how an airbrush works...

I don't know much about that kind of stuff but I know alittle. Concerning the loading question, the balls should actually be sucked into the barrel as long as the hopper tube is perpendicular to the barrel. As for the drag and trajectory this site should help http://lennon.csufresno.edu/~nas31/nsa/pballCalc.html it's for paintball but it's similar to your question.

Well i know that if you make it as a orange gun, and you fired a orange the orange would get to speeds of about 300km/h and travel 1km there abouts, but that is using a internal combustion. Any way would'nt the line of fire be fairly linear? so you could just graph it.

Sowhatalot said:
Well i know that if you make it as a orange gun, and you fired a orange the orange would get to speeds of about 300km/h and travel 1km there abouts, but that is using a internal combustion.

What, at 6 bar like the OP stated? Don't think so!

Any way would'nt the line of fire be fairly linear? so you could just graph it.

No, gravity would ensure that the path isn't linear.

Chris, is this a first year group build project? Unless you're on an AE course, I'd probably expect them to be looking for you just to use kinematics and some basic aerodynamics (drag) to determine the flight details. You're right in stating that spin will affect your trajectory, but I don't think there's any way you'll be able to take this into account, since you have little idea of how the ball will emerge from the launcher. Anyway, you haven't posted for a while so I guess you've got exams on at the moment...

1. What is a ping pong ball launcher?

A ping pong ball launcher is a device that is used to launch ping pong balls, typically in a game or for recreational purposes.

2. How does a ping pong ball launcher work?

A ping pong ball launcher works by using either a spring mechanism or compressed air to propel the ping pong ball forward at a high speed.

3. What are the benefits of using a ping pong ball launcher?

Using a ping pong ball launcher can improve hand-eye coordination, reaction time, and overall skill in the game of ping pong. It can also make the game more challenging and fun.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a ping pong ball launcher?

Yes, it is important to always follow the instructions and safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer when using a ping pong ball launcher. It is also recommended to wear protective eyewear to prevent any accidents or injuries.

5. Can a ping pong ball launcher be used for other purposes besides playing ping pong?

Yes, a ping pong ball launcher can also be used for various science experiments, such as studying motion and velocity, or for recreational activities like target shooting. However, it is important to always use caution and follow safety guidelines when using the launcher for non-ping pong related purposes.