Potential Energy of Ions in a Molecular Structure

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for total energy between two ions in a molecular structure. The equation is given by E = (-5.6/r) + 10e^(-r/3), where r represents the distance between the nuclei. The speakers are trying to find the domain of E, values of r that make sense in the problem situation, and the relative maximum or minimum values of the total potential energy on the interval (0, ∞). They mention that the y value is infinite in that interval and they are unsure how to find the values using a table or by plugging in zero for y in the equation. They also mention not having a specific question to go along with the equation.
hy
okay here's the equation:
In a certain molecular structure, the total energy E between two ions is given by

E= (-5.6/r) + 10e^(-r/3)
where r is the distance seperating the nuclei.

now i already sketched the graph but i don't know how to find the domain of E, or find values of r that make sense in the problem situation, or find the realative maximum or minimum values or the total potential energy on the interval (0, ∞) . the y in that interval is supposed to be infinite in case you can't tell what it is.

i tried to just look on the table but y never equals zero on there so I am lost. then i tried to just stick in zero for y on the equation. i got stuck .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you gave the equation, but what's the question that goes with it?

Do you know what "domain" means. And, as kreil asked, what was the question?

1. What is the definition of potential energy of ions in a molecular structure?

Potential energy of ions in a molecular structure refers to the stored energy that results from the interactions between charged particles, such as positively and negatively charged ions, within a molecule. This energy is typically measured in units of joules (J) or electron volts (eV) and can be either positive or negative.

2. How is potential energy of ions calculated in a molecular structure?

The potential energy of ions in a molecular structure is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the potential energy of two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them. This equation takes into account the charges of the ions, their relative positions, and the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of ions in a molecular structure?

The potential energy of ions in a molecular structure is affected by several factors, including the distance between the ions, the charges of the ions, and the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium. Additionally, the geometry and orientation of the molecular structure can also impact the potential energy of ions.

4. How does the potential energy of ions impact the stability of a molecular structure?

The potential energy of ions plays a crucial role in determining the stability of a molecular structure. A lower potential energy indicates a more stable structure, as the ions are held together by stronger electrostatic interactions. Conversely, a higher potential energy indicates a less stable structure, as the ions are more likely to dissociate due to weaker electrostatic interactions.

5. Can the potential energy of ions in a molecular structure be changed?

Yes, the potential energy of ions in a molecular structure can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the distance between the ions, their charges, or the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium. This can be achieved through various methods, such as changing the conditions of the environment or introducing other ions that can interact with the existing ions in the molecular structure.