Angular and Linear Motion on a Merry-Go-Round: A Logic Check

• Thread starter random26
  • Start date
In summary, the girl has a greater angular displacement and angular speed due to the inverse relationship with radius, but the boy has a greater linear speed and centripetal acceleration since they are directly proportional to the radius. Both have the same tangential acceleration since it depends on the rate of change of angular speed which is constant for both.
random26
series of questions that I need to know if my logic behind the answers is correct.

A boy and a girl are riding on a merry-go-round which is turning at a constant rate. The boy is near the outer edge and the girl is closer to the center. Who has the

1. greater angular displacement
a) boy b) girl c) both have the same angular displacement
I figured it would be the girl because angular displacement is inversely proportional to the radius because of arc length=(radius)(angular disp).

2. greater angular speed
a) boy b) girl c) both have the same angular velocity
I thought it would be the girl again since v=rw so if the radius decreases, the angular velocity increases.

3. greater linear speed
a) boy b) girl c) both have the same linear speed
I'm unsure of this one. I'd probably choose the boy since I think he has a greater displacement, so the velocity would be higher.

4. greater centripetal acceleration
a) boy b) girl c) both have the same
I thought that the answer would be the girl because a(sub c)=(v^2)/r so if the radius went up like the boy's then the acceleration would go down. I'm not sure if I used the right equation for this one...

5. greater tangential acceleration
I completely guessed on this one and said they had the same since tangential acceleration = r(ang accel). Yeah, I really don't get this one.

Are these right?

Physics news on Phys.org
random26 said:

A boy and a girl are riding on a merry-go-round which is turning at a constant rate. The boy is near the outer edge and the girl is closer to the center. Who has the

1. greater angular displacement
a) boy b) girl c) both have the same angular displacement
I figured it would be the girl because angular displacement is inversely proportional to the radius because of arc length=(radius)(angular disp).
Angular displacement is the total angle through which the body has rotated. Does that angle depend on radius?

2. greater angular speed
a) boy b) girl c) both have the same angular velocity
I thought it would be the girl again since v=rw so if the radius decreases, the angular velocity increases.
Angular speed is [itex]\omega = v/r[/itex] and [itex]v = 2\pi r/T[/itex]. So [itex]\omega = v/r = 2\pi/T[/itex]. T is the period of rotation. Does that depend on radius?

3. greater linear speed
a) boy b) girl c) both have the same linear speed
I'm unsure of this one. I'd probably choose the boy since I think he has a greater displacement, so the velocity would be higher.
You actually got this right but I don't think you understand why. It follows from [itex]v = \omega r[/itex]. Since [itex]\omega[/itex] is the same for each, how does the tangential speed change as r increases.

4. greater centripetal acceleration
I thought that the answer would be the girl because a(sub c)=(v^2)/r so if the radius went up like the boy's then the acceleration would go down. I'm not sure if I used the right equation for this one...
Use [itex]v = \omega r[/itex] so [itex]a = v^2/r = \omega^2 r[/itex]. Since [itex]\omega[/itex] is the same for both, how does a change with r?

5. greater tangential acceleration
I completely guessed on this one and said they had the same since tangential acceleration = r(ang accel). Yeah, I really don't get this one.
Tangential acceleration is [itex]a = \alpha r = \dot{\omega} r[/itex]. If [itex]\omega[/itex] is constant, what is [itex]\dot{\omega}[/itex]? So what is [itex]\alpha[/itex]? a?

AM

Does that angle depend on radius?
The angle of a circle wouldn't depend on the radius, so that would mean that they both have the same angular displacement.

2. If w = 2(pi) / T then it doesn't depend on the radius either, so the answer would be they're both the same again, right?

3. Huzzah! The one I got right! Your explanation does make a lot more sense though.

4. Since w is the same for both, that would mean that as the radius increases, so does the centripetal acceleration, making the boy have the greater v.

5. I'm not sure that I really understand your explanation of the last one. Would the equation you used cause the answer to be the boy because the radius and the tangential acceleration are directly proportional?

Your reply was amazing. It helped me so much, thanks!

random26 said:
5. I'm not sure that I really understand your explanation of the last one. Would the equation you used cause the answer to be the boy because the radius and the tangential acceleration are directly proportional?
No. It is simple: Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular speed. If the angular speed is constant (for both), what is the angular acceleration (for both)?

AM

1. What does "Check me please" mean?

"Check me please" is a phrase commonly used to ask someone to review or inspect something. It can also be used as a request for validation or confirmation of something.

2. How do I use "Check me please" in a sentence?

You can use "Check me please" in a sentence by saying something like, "Could you please check me on this report before I submit it?" or "I'm not sure if I did this math problem correctly, could you check me please?"

3. Is "Check me please" a polite request?

Yes, "Check me please" is considered a polite and respectful way to ask for someone's help or confirmation. It is important to use proper tone and context when using this phrase to avoid coming across as demanding or rude.

4. Can I use "Check me please" in a professional setting?

Yes, "Check me please" can be used in a professional setting as a way to ask for someone's review or validation of your work. However, it is important to use it appropriately and in a respectful manner.

5. Are there any other ways to say "Check me please"?

Yes, there are many other ways to express a similar request, such as "Could you double check this for me?" or "Can you review this with me?" It is important to choose the most appropriate and polite phrase for the situation and relationship with the person you are asking.