Optimizing Temp. Tappings on Distillation Columns - Ideas/Experience?

In summary, the distillation column has insufficient temperature tappings, so a rough survey of the temperature profile externally can be done by drilling small (1 inch) holes in the insulation and taking external temperature readings. The thermoworks IR gun is said to have an ~2% accuracy, which is good for this application.
rollingstein
Gold Member
We have a distillation column with insufficient temperature tappings. In order to do a rough survey of the temperature profile externally an idea is to drill small (say 1 inch) holes in the insulation and take external temperature readings.

Would a IR temp. gun like this one be a good idea?

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irgun.html#AccessoriesTab

Any other ideas? Anyone try anything similar?

THe unit mentions an ~2% accuracy, is it really that good?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The basic question you need to answer is "what temperature are you actually measuring".

Clearly the outside temperature of the column, at a point where you removed some thermal insulation, may not be the same as the temperature of what you are distilling. If your column is made of something transparent to visible light, it might not be very obvious what is the source of the IR radiation you are measuring (i.e. is it transmitted through the material of the column, or emitted by the column itself?)

You didn't give any details of the column, and your link to the thermoworks site isn't working right now (my browser says "server not responding") so there are more questions here than answers...

rollingstein said:
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irgun.html#AccessoriesTab

Any other ideas? Anyone try anything similar?

The unit mentions an ~2% accuracy, is it really that good?

I'd expect that you will be able to make these cheapie IR guns work just fine in that application. They have several weaknesses, all of which you can correct for:
1) You can't trust the absolute temperature that they report; they're sensitive to the emissivity of the surface they're pointed at. So if you read 130 degrees on a shiny surface and a 150 degrees on a nearby black surface you can't be sure that the temperature difference is really 20 degrees. If both surfaces were black, you'd be fine.
2) The shinier the surface you're dealing with, the less accurate the IR gun is.
3) You can't compare readings taken between two different IR guns.

For your application, you might consider
- After you've made your 1" holes in the insulation, hit the bottom of each one with a spritz of flat black spray paint. That way, they'll be as similar as possible, with a minimum of weird reflective behaviors.
- Put one of your holes near one of your existing temperature tappings with a standard temperature gauge. That way you can check the IR gun reading against a new temperature so you'll know how to interpret the readings at the other locations.

There are much more sophisticated versons of these things with nice calibration capabilities, emissivity correction, and the like. You can't buy them for $49 though.

Likes 1 person
AlephZero said:
The basic question you need to answer is "what temperature are you actually measuring".

Clearly the outside temperature of the column, at a point where you removed some thermal insulation, may not be the same as the temperature of what you are distilling. If your column is made of something transparent to visible light, it might not be very obvious what is the source of the IR radiation you are measuring (i.e. is it transmitted through the material of the column, or emitted by the column itself?)

You didn't give any details of the column, and your link to the thermoworks site isn't working right now (my browser says "server not responding") so there are more questions here than answers...

Column is a SS vessel about 30 feet tall and ~4 feet dia. So, no not transperent. But there doesn't seem any feasible way to get internal temps. (unless you have any ideas)

Hence this is the closest I had. With some correction for the ΔT across the metal.

Temp. profile ranges from 60 C at top to 150 C at bottom.

Nugatory said:
I'd expect that you will be able to make these cheapie IR guns work just fine in that application. They have several weaknesses, all of which you can correct for:
1) You can't trust the absolute temperature that they report; they're sensitive to the emissivity of the surface they're pointed at. So if you read 130 degrees on a shiny surface and a 150 degrees on a nearby black surface you can't be sure that the temperature difference is really 20 degrees. If both surfaces were black, you'd be fine.
2) The shinier the surface you're dealing with, the less accurate the IR gun is.
3) You can't compare readings taken between two different IR guns.

For your application, you might consider
- After you've made your 1" holes in the insulation, hit the bottom of each one with a spritz of flat black spray paint. That way, they'll be as similar as possible, with a minimum of weird reflective behaviors.
- Put one of your holes near one of your existing temperature tappings with a standard temperature gauge. That way you can check the IR gun reading against a new temperature so you'll know how to interpret the readings at the other locations.

There are much more sophisticated versons of these things with nice calibration capabilities, emissivity correction, and the like. You can't buy them for $49 though.

Thanks for those very practical tips. The black paint is a neat trick. I will use that.

My budget isn't limited to $49 so if you have a better gun you'd recommend I'll be glad to have a shot.

rollingstein said:
Column is a SS vessel about 30 feet tall and ~4 feet dia. So, no not transperent. But there doesn't seem any feasible way to get internal temps. (unless you have any ideas)

Thermistors? Unless electrical connections would be a problem because of corrosive chemicals, etc.

AlephZero said:
Thermistors? Unless electrical connections would be a problem because of corrosive chemicals, etc.

Penetrating the shell is the problem. If you mean thermistors pressed against the metal from the outside, sure, that can work.

But then again, the gun will do pretty close to that, I suppose.

1. What is the purpose of optimizing temperature tappings on distillation columns?

The purpose of optimizing temperature tappings on distillation columns is to improve the efficiency and accuracy of the distillation process. Temperature measurements are crucial for monitoring and controlling the distillation process, and optimizing the tappings can help ensure that the temperatures are accurately recorded and used to make adjustments in real-time.

2. How do you determine the optimal temperature tappings for a distillation column?

The optimal temperature tappings for a distillation column can be determined through various methods, such as simulation software, experimental testing, and experience-based approaches. Factors such as the type of column, operating conditions, and desired product specifications should be considered when determining the optimal tappings.

3. What are the potential benefits of optimizing temperature tappings on distillation columns?

Some potential benefits of optimizing temperature tappings on distillation columns include improved product quality, increased efficiency and yield, reduced energy consumption, and better process control. It can also help minimize the risk of column flooding or other operational issues.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to optimizing temperature tappings on distillation columns?

Yes, there can be challenges and limitations to optimizing temperature tappings on distillation columns. These can include the complexity and cost of implementing new tappings, potential interference from other process variables, and the need for regular maintenance and calibration to ensure accurate readings.

5. Can optimizing temperature tappings on distillation columns be applied to all types of distillation processes?

Yes, optimizing temperature tappings can be applied to various types of distillation processes, including batch, continuous, and multistage distillation. However, the specific techniques and considerations may vary depending on the type of process and the specific design of the distillation column.