Rush Limbaugh Reaches Settlement in Prescription Drug Charges

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Rush Limbaugh reached a settlement with prosecutors Friday in a fraud case involving prescription painkillers, though the conservative radio commentator maintains his innocence.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Rush Limbaugh reaches settlement in prescription drug charges
By Brian Skoloff

The Associated Press

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — Rush Limbaugh reached a settlement with prosecutors Friday in a fraud case involving prescription painkillers, though the conservative radio commentator maintains his innocence.

Limbaugh turned himself into authorities about 4 p.m. on a warrant for fraud to conceal information to obtain a prescription, the first charge in the nearly 3-year-old case, said Teri Barbera, a spokeswoman for the state attorney. He was released an hour later on $3,000 bail.

Limbaugh's attorney, Roy Black, said his client and prosecutors reached a settlement on a charge of doctor shopping. [continued]
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002959804_webrush28.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
that name rings a bell, but could who's Rush Limbaugh (well I live over the pond, I doubt you know who Kilroy is either).

Rush Limbaugh is a conversative talk host over here. I'm pretty sure he's nationwide... pretty far over to the right but there's worse.

Kilroy... I've heard that name before...

"Fraud to conceal information to obtain a prescription." That means he lied to his doctor in order to get a certain drug?

loseyourname said:
"Fraud to conceal information to obtain a prescription." That means he lied to his doctor in order to get a certain drug?

More than that. He was going to four different doctors simultaneously (each being deceived about the others), to get multiple prescriptions. Apparently he only went to one pharmacy though, that's how he was found out.

Stupid hippie.

I was listening to the story on the news last night. There is a misconception about the term "arrested." Not that I am defending the actions, but the term "arrested" to me brings up being put into cuffs and booked.

What they said did happen is that it was pre arranged by an agreement of the court for him to enter some kind of rehab program. For him to be allowed to participate in the program he did have to go through the booking process, i.e. fingerprints and mug shots. He walked in, did the shots and the prints and walked out. He was never detained. He does, however, start some kind of 18 month program now, the details of which I do not know. He will not be detained in any way, and will not have any kind of criminal record. Once the program is completed successfully, the incident will be expunged from his record (but not from people's minds!).

TECHNICALLY, the act of being booked, to many, is the same as being arrested. To others, it doesn't mean the same thing. I guess it shouldn't surprise me when we have a legal system that will allow the argument of what the word "is" is.

This just in:Bush says despite this arrest there still a investigation in the Iraqi
WMD faulty intellgence.:biggrin:

There's on his website about it.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com

FredGarvin said:
For him to be allowed to participate in the program he did have to go through the booking process, i.e. fingerprints and mug shots. He walked in, did the shots and the prints and walked out.

That's called being arrested.

He turned himself in, which, granted, is different than being hunted like a wild animal. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
He turned himself in, which, granted, is different than being hunted like a wild animal...

Now on the other hand, Tom DeLay...

:rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
That's called being arrested.

He turned himself in, which, granted, is different than being hunted like a wild animal. :biggrin:
The one thing I didn't hear anything about was if a warrant was issued for his arrest. Also, they did not mention if he had to post bail in order to leave. If there was no warrant, then is it really an arrest? Like I said, his going into be booked was part of some legal agreement. I think It's splitting hairs, but at the same time, saying he was arrested doesn't seem quite the appropriate phrase.

My take was that this was part of the deal he cut: He had to be arrested for the lesser crime agreed upon by Limbaugh and the DA. If he successfully completes the treatment program, in 18 months, charges will be dropped. So, obviously charges were officially filed. To me this means that the DA felt it was important that Limbaugh be arrested for a crime even if on a cooperative basis.

Ahh. I didn't hear any of the plea bargaining aspect on the interview. He was being charged...so be it. I guess arrested is an appropriate term.

1. What were the charges against Rush Limbaugh regarding prescription drugs?

The charges against Rush Limbaugh involved his alleged illegal possession of prescription drugs. Specifically, he was accused of "doctor shopping," which is the practice of obtaining multiple prescriptions for the same medication from different doctors.

2. How did Rush Limbaugh respond to the charges?

Initially, Limbaugh denied any wrongdoing and maintained his innocence. However, he later admitted to being addicted to painkillers and entered a rehab program.

3. What was the outcome of the settlement?

Rush Limbaugh reached a settlement with prosecutors in which he agreed to pay a $30,000 fine and complete an 18-month drug treatment program. In exchange, the charge against him would be dropped.

4. Was this Limbaugh's first encounter with legal issues?

No, Rush Limbaugh had previous run-ins with the law, including a 2006 arrest for prescription fraud and a 2003 investigation for alleged illegal drug use.

5. Has Rush Limbaugh spoken publicly about this settlement?

Yes, Rush Limbaugh has discussed his settlement and his struggles with addiction on his radio show and in interviews. He has also used his experience to advocate for stricter laws and consequences for drug offenders.

Back