Sliding Block Problem: Finding Distance Traveled

In summary, the problem provided does not have enough information to solve for the total distance the sled travels. The initial velocity of the sled and the length of the incline are not given, making it impossible to determine the distance traveled. However, using the assumption that the forces of gravity and friction are constant, and that the final velocity is zero, one can use the equation vo2 = 2ax to solve for the distance traveled. More information is needed to accurately solve the problem.
ksle82
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6991&stc=1&d=1148442038
rocket1.JPG
Given the data in the drawing, find the total distance the sled travel.
I got stuck after summing all the forces in the X direction. Help! Here's what i have so far.

Sum of all Forces in X Dir: mgsin(theta) - f = ma
where mgsin(theta) is force due to gravity in the x-dir,
and f is the friction force.

Attachments

• rocket1.JPG
    rocket1.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 654
Physics news on Phys.org
There is insufficient information to solve the problem.

The sled presumably has an initial velocity (not given), and there is a component of gravity acting in the -x direction and friction, which also acts in -x direction.

Since the final velocity is zero, one can use vo2 = 2 a x, where vo is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration (or deceleration) determined from the forces of gravity and friction, and x is the distance traveled.

ksle82 said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6991&stc=1&d=1148442038
rocket1.JPG
Given the data in the drawing, find the total distance the sled travel.
I got stuck after summing all the forces in the X direction. Help! Here's what i have so far.

Sum of all Forces in X Dir: mgsin(theta) - f = ma
where mgsin(theta) is force due to gravity in the x-dir,
and f is the friction force.
Why are you assuming the gravitational force and frictional force are in opposite directions? They should both be down the incline.

Is this incline infinitly long or does it leave the incline at some point and become a projectile? Eitherway there is not enough information. I am assuming that the u is the co-efficent of kinetic friction.

~H

Astronuc said:
There is insufficient information to solve the problem.

The sled presumably has an initial velocity (not given), and there is a component of gravity acting in the -x direction and friction, which also acts in -x direction.

Since the final velocity is zero, one can use vo2 = 2 a x, where vo is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration (or deceleration) determined from the forces of gravity and friction, and x is the distance traveled.

Yes i do feel that's the question is rather vague or doen'st have enough info. But i just copied out of the study package that was given to me.

Yes, vo is the initial velocity. How did you arrive at vo2=2ax astronuc?

ksle82 said:
Yes i do feel that's the question is rather vague or doen'st have enough info. But i just copied out of the study package that was given to me.

Yes, vo is the initial velocity. How did you arrive at vo2 = 2ax astronuc?
That's actually a special case for constant acceleration.

The change in kinetic energy is equal to the product of the force applied over a distance, or

1/2 m v22 - 1/2 m v12 = m a x. Let v2 = vo, and the final velocity v1 = 0. Multiply the equation by 2 and divide by m and one obtains,

vo2 = 2ax

For the problem stated, the x component of the gravitation force is constant (it doesn't change over a short distance) and one assumes that friction is contant. The force due to friction is proportional to the normal force of the sled on the surface of the slope.

If vo is sufficiently large, then the distance traveled could be significant and the acceleration due to gravity would vary as a function of the altitude (height).

One may find this useful - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#mot1

1. What is the Sliding Block Problem?

The Sliding Block Problem is a classic physics puzzle that involves a block placed on an inclined plane. The goal is to determine the minimum force needed to prevent the block from sliding down the plane.

2. What factors affect the solution of the Sliding Block Problem?

The solution of the Sliding Block Problem is affected by the mass, angle of inclination, and coefficient of friction of the block and the surface it is placed on. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the block may also have an impact.

3. How is the Sliding Block Problem solved?

The Sliding Block Problem is typically solved using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of statics. By setting up equations and solving for the unknowns, the minimum force required to prevent the block from sliding can be determined.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Sliding Block Problem?

The Sliding Block Problem has various applications in engineering and design, such as determining the stability of structures on inclined surfaces, calculating the minimum force needed to move objects on an inclined plane, and analyzing the behavior of objects on roller coasters or ramps.

5. Are there any variations of the Sliding Block Problem?

Yes, there are several variations of the Sliding Block Problem, such as the Block and Tackle Problem, which involves multiple blocks and pulleys, and the Sliding Ladder Problem, which adds the element of a ladder sliding down a wall. These variations can be more complex and require additional equations to solve.