Best Physics Books for College Students Struggling with Calculus-Based Course?

In summary, the conversation discussed a student struggling in their calculus-based college physics course and asking for book recommendations. The class covers Newtonian mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism, and uses the book "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker. Other recommended resources include Sears and Zemansky, Hyperphysics, and the PF Tutorials section. The conversation also emphasized the importance of understanding and applying mathematical principles in physics.
Llama77
I'm taking a college physics course which is calculus based, I am doing awful in it can anybody recommend a good book that can break the topics down for me.

any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
give us more information. Is it a basic general course that covers Newtonian mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism?

what textbook are you using for the course? (author and title)

Sorry about that Sir

It is a General Physics 1 class with Calculus for science majors. we use the book,

Fundamentals of Physics
7th edition by Halliday, Resnick and Walker:

ISBN: 0-471-98009-9 Its a custom edition for my school, but the same with just some stuff ripped out.

I am just having a lot of trouble

Try sears and Zemansky.

Sears and Zemanksy is good, but I would think Halliday and Resnick is pretty basic.

There are a number of good websites with fairly good explanations of concepts -

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/CLASS/BBoard.html [Broken]

More detailed is Hyperphsycis (I even bought the CD :approve: , which came with a very nice letter from Rod Nave. He's a really nice guy!) -

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

There is also the PF Tutorials sections with a broad range of Introductory and Advanced Physics tutorials which Greg and others have posted.
https://www.physicsforums.com/private.php?folderid=0 [Broken]

Please make use of the Homework sections.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you so much, so the books like physics for dummies are a waste, at least i know that that one is/

Llama77 said:
thank you so much, so the books like physics for dummies are a waste, at least i know that that one is/
Physics is largely quantitative, in addition to the theory. Mathematics is the language of physics and it is necessary to have some amount of rigor. Finding a good book which goes through the math and relates the concepts and phenomena to the math is important. In the more advanced classes, understanding of calculus becomes important. It is essential that one be able to express a problem or phenomenon with the appropriate mathematical relationship, i.e. equation or set of equations.

1. What makes a good physics self help book?

A good physics self help book should have clear and concise explanations of concepts and equations, plenty of practice problems with detailed solutions, and real-world applications that make the material relatable. It should also be well-organized and have a logical progression of topics.

2. How can a physics self help book improve my understanding of the subject?

A good physics self help book can improve your understanding of the subject by breaking down complex concepts into simpler terms, providing visual aids and diagrams, and offering step-by-step explanations of problem-solving techniques. It can also provide additional practice problems to reinforce your understanding.

3. Are there any recommended physics self help books for beginners?

Yes, there are many recommended physics self help books for beginners, including "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, and "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick and Art Huffman. It's important to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and level of understanding.

4. Can a physics self help book replace a traditional textbook?

A physics self help book can be a useful supplement to a traditional textbook, but it may not be able to replace it entirely. Self help books often have a more informal writing style and may not cover all the material in as much depth as a textbook. It's best to use a combination of both resources for a well-rounded understanding of the subject.

5. Are there any interactive elements in physics self help books?

Some physics self help books may have interactive elements such as online simulations, virtual labs, or practice problems with immediate feedback. These can be helpful tools for understanding and applying the concepts in the book. However, not all self help books have these features, so it's important to research and choose a book that meets your needs.