Thin Lens Equation - How to Solve for the Position of a Converging Lens

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a converging lens to produce a focused image on a screen. The problem involves using the equation 1/do + 1/di = 1/f, where do is the distance from the object to the lens, di is the distance from the lens to the image, and f is the focal length of the lens. The conversation goes through various restrictions and considerations for the placement of the lens, such as the distance between the object and the screen, and concludes with a mathematical approach to solving the problem by eliminating one variable from the equation.
bananan

Homework Statement

3. A converging lens has a focal length of 10 cm. A screen is placed 30 cm from an object. Where should the lens be placed, in relation to the object, to produce a focused image?

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/di = 1f

The Attempt at a Solution

Do can not be greater than 2F, because then the image appears between F and 2F on the other side of the lens. From 2F to 2F is 40cm, the distance we want is 30cm.

Do cannot be equal to 2F because then the image appears at 2F on the other side. 2F to 2F in this case is 40cm. So its not possible.

Do cannot be between f (10cm) and 2f or the image will appear beyond 2f.
F to 2F is 30cm, so the object can't be beyond F and the image can't be beyond 2F when there’s only 30cm between them.

Do cannot be F because no image is formed when do is at F.

Therefore, do must be less than F. However, this is not possible because the lens must be between the screen and the object, as specified by the question, and do being less than f results in the image appearing on the same side of the lens as the object.If I actually attempt it mathematically it turns into a sadistic guessing game.

di + do = 30
1/do + 1/di = 1/10

How many combinations of 2 numbers sum 30? Am I expected to draw a ray diagram for all of them until I find a combo that works, or is there a formulaic way of approaching this that's going over my head?

The problem being... do and di are defined in relation to the position of the lens. In this case, the position of the lens is the variable.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the right equations use the first one to eliminate di or do from the second one. Then work out di or do, and hence find the othervalue.

Yes.. I guess the real problem is I've been trying to do that for 4 hours with no success which is why I posted here.

Of course you could just think how far from a lens a focused image is :).

Can you tell me how to do it mathematically? I need to know how to solve this type of problem.

use the first one to eliminate di or do from the second one

Please explain how to do this?

Max Eilerson said:
Of course you could just think how far from a lens a focused image is :).

Doesnt it depend on where the object is?

I suspect that your getting confused with signs. You do know how to cross multiiply right?

[tex] \frac{1}{d_i} - \frac{1}{30 - d_i} = \frac{1}{f} [/tex]

I dunno.. That latex graphic thing didnt seem to work.

There was a problem with the question though. Its been changed to di+do=60cm

So could you teach me how to evaluate this?

1/di + 1/(60-di) = 1/10

You need to read your Private Message immediately.

Zz.

1. What is the Thin Lens Equation?

The Thin Lens Equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the position of an object or image formed by a converging lens. It takes into account the focal length of the lens, the distance between the object and the lens, and the distance between the image and the lens.

2. How do you solve for the position of a converging lens using the Thin Lens Equation?

To solve for the position of a converging lens, you will need to know the focal length of the lens, the distance between the object and the lens, and the distance between the image and the lens. You can then plug these values into the Thin Lens Equation (1/f = 1/do + 1/di) and solve for the unknown variable (either do or di).

3. What is the difference between do and di in the Thin Lens Equation?

do represents the distance between the object and the lens, while di represents the distance between the image and the lens. These values can be positive or negative, depending on the position of the object or image relative to the lens.

4. Can the Thin Lens Equation be used for diverging lenses?

No, the Thin Lens Equation can only be used for converging lenses. For diverging lenses, a different equation called the Thin Lens Formula (1/f = 1/do - 1/di) must be used.

5. How accurate is the Thin Lens Equation in determining the position of an image?

The Thin Lens Equation is a simplified model and does not take into account factors such as lens thickness and aberrations. As such, it may not be completely accurate, especially for more complex lens systems. However, it is a good approximation for simple converging lenses.