Implicit/Explicit Differenciation, and Inflection point of a Graph

In summary, for question 1, the point of inflection is when the quotient of the second derivative on the y-axis is zero. For question 2, the point of inflection is when the slope of the line passing through the points (1,1) and (a,y) is equal to -96.
clragon
I have two questions, one about differentiating, and the other is about finding the inflection point on a function. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Question 1

Homework Statement

If ay^3 = x^4, show that d^2y/dx^2 = 4x^2/9ay^2

now, this question can be done by both implicit or explicit differentiation. I can leave the ay^3 = x^4 as it is and start simplifying right away, or I could isolate y by making the equation y = (x^4a^-1)^(1/3)

Homework Equations

knowledge of the rules of differentiating.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am going to list two different attempts, one implicit and one explicit.

Implicit
ay^3 = x^4
a3y^2 dy/dx = 4x^3

dy/dx = 4x^3/ a3y^2

d^2y/dx^2 = (12x^2((a3y^2)-6ya(4x^3)(dy/dx)) / (3y^2a)^2
d^2y/dx^2 = (36x^2y^2a - 24yax^3(dy/dx) ) / (3y^2a)^2
*I then subbed the previous found value for dy/dx into dy/dx in this equation.
d^2y/dx^2 = (36x^2y^2a - 96yax^6/3y^2a) / (3y^2a)^2
d^2y/dx^2 = (36x^2y^2a - 32x^6/y) / 9y^4a^2

I stopped here because I could find no way to make the a^2 at the bottom become just a, similarily the y^4 could not be reduced down to y^2 like in the question.

Explicit

y = (x^4a^-1)^(1/3)
y' = (1/3)(x^4a^-1)^(-2/3)(4x^3a^-1)
y' = [(x^4a^-1)^(-2/3)(4x^3a^-1)]/3
y'' = [3(12x^2a^-1)^(-2/3)(x^4a^-1)^(-5/3)(4x^3a^-1)]/9
y'' = [-2(48x^5(a^-2)(x^4a^-1)^(-5/3)]/9
y'' = [-96xa^-1(x^4a^-1)(x^4a^-1)^(-5/3)]/9
y'' = -96x / 9a [(x^4/a^1)^(1/3)]^2
since (x^4/a^1)^(1/3) = y
y'' = -96x / 9ay^2

as you can see, I got a lot further by the final answer is still wrong... I have part of the answer but have a -96x instead of 4x...

could someone please be kind enough to solve this question, or tell me where I went wrong... if it is possible please also provide a solution to the implicit way of solving this question.

Question 2
1. Find the point of inflection of y = x^4 - 4x^3 + 6x^2 + 12x

at a glance, this question may seem very easy, but for some reason I can't get the right answer (-0.4 and 2.4)

2. to find inflection point, you find the 2nd derivative of the function and solve for x/b]

The Attempt at a Solution

y = x^4 - 4x^3 + 6x^2 + 12x
y' = 4x^3 - 12x^2 + 12x + 12
y'' = 12x^2 - 24x + 12
let y'' = 0
0 = 12(x^2 - 2x + 1)
0 = 12(x-1)(x-1)
x = 1

I put this function into a graphing calculator, it showed no apparent change in concavity at x = 1. I set the min y = -100 and max y = 100 while keeping min x = -20 and max x = 20 to get a better view. the graph seemed to be a parabola but like the answer suggested, the concavity is slightly different between -0.4 and 2.4.

anyone wishing to see the graph can just use http://www.coolmath.com/graphit/index.html" and paste in the function. remember the set the min y, max y, min x, max x values so that you can see the graph as described by me.

Thanks for you time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Question 1:
For your first attempts, you are stucked in the last step:

[tex] \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{(36x^2y^2a - 32x^6/y)}{ 9y^4a^2} [/tex]

You could simplify it one step further to get

[tex] \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{4x^2}{ay^2} - \frac{32x^6}{9a^2y^5} [/tex]

The first term on the RHS is very similar to what you want to prove, but the second term mess up the whole thing, therefore you must find a way to get rid of the second term...
Try to expand the [tex]x^6[/tex] into [tex] x^2x^4 [/tex] and substitude the [tex]x^4[/tex] in the second term by the original equation, [tex] x^4 = ay^3 [/tex]
This will solve your problem...

For the second attempt, try to do it in a simpler maner...
[tex] y = (\frac{x^4}{a})^{1/3} = a^{-1/3}x^{4/3} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{4}{3}a^{-1/3} x^{1/3} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{4}{3} \frac{1}{3} a^{-1/3}x^{-2/3} = \frac{4}{9} a^{-1/3}\frac{x^2}{x^{8/3}} = \frac{4}{9} a^{-1/3}\frac{x^2}{a^{2/3}y^2} = \frac{4x^2}{9ay^2} [/tex]

For question 2, Your solution is abosulotely correct, maybe the answer is wrong or you misunderstand the question..

Good Luck

Last edited:
thank you so much :D

your second solution was so much easier than mine, but I'm curious of where I went wrong in my solution, did I make a arithmetic mistake? or does using the power rule in this equation eventually give me -96x at the top?

1. What is the difference between implicit and explicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is not written in the form of y = f(x). This means that the dependent variable, y, is not explicitly stated. On the other hand, explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is written in the form of y = f(x), where the dependent variable is explicitly stated.

2. How do you perform implicit differentiation?

To perform implicit differentiation, you must first differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to x. Then, use the chain rule when differentiating any terms that involve the dependent variable, y. Finally, solve for y' (the derivative of y) by isolating it on one side of the equation.

3. What is an inflection point on a graph?

An inflection point is a point on the graph of a function where the concavity changes. This means that the function changes from being concave up to concave down or vice versa at that point. Visually, an inflection point looks like a point where the curve changes from being "smiley" to "frowny" or vice versa.

4. How do you find inflection points on a graph?

To find inflection points on a graph, you must first find the second derivative of the function. Then, set the second derivative equal to zero and solve for the x-values. These x-values correspond to the inflection points on the graph.

5. Can there be more than one inflection point on a graph?

Yes, there can be more than one inflection point on a graph. This is because a function can change its concavity multiple times, resulting in multiple points of inflection. It is also possible for a function to not have any inflection points if it is always concave up or concave down.