Frequency for ionization of hydrogen

In summary, the frequency of an AM radio station broadcasting at 750 KHz corresponds to an energy of 4.97E-28 J per photon. However, this energy is not sufficient to ionize a hydrogen atom, as it requires 2.18E-18 J per photon to do so. Therefore, an AM radio station emitting at this frequency does not emit enough energy to ionize a hydrogen atom.
kankerfist

Homework Statement

Does an AM radio station broadcasting at 750 KHz emit enough energy to ionize a hydrogen atom?

Homework Equations

Frequency = 7.5E+5 /s
Ionization E of H atom = 2.18E-18 J
Planck constant h = 6.625E-34 J-s
AM Radio speed = c
Energy AM radio wave = h*frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a topic on my study guide. I am a little confused about the concept of the radio station energy emissions. My calculation for energy of a 750KHz AM radio frequency results in 4.97E-28 J. Is this the amount of energy emitted by the station in 1 second? I am not sure about this, but I am guessing that the station emits 4.97E-28 J continuously, and that an H ion requires 2.18E-18 J continuously in order to remain ionized. So my initial calculations say that there is not enough energy coming from the radio station. Any tips here would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your initial calculation is quite correct but the picture is somewhat wrong. Ionization happens when one sufficiently energetic photon hits an atom and knocks an electron free. There is no need for 'continuous power'. From the data given you have no idea how much power the station is putting out. You have just computed the energy per photon. You don't know how MANY photons. But that is enough to answer the question. The photons are too weak. It takes something more like ultraviolet to ionize hydrogen.

1. What is the frequency for ionization of hydrogen?

The frequency for ionization of hydrogen is 3.29 x 10^15 Hz. This is known as the ionization energy or the energy required to remove an electron from a hydrogen atom.

2. How is the frequency for ionization of hydrogen calculated?

The frequency for ionization of hydrogen can be calculated using the equation: E = hf, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s), and f is the frequency in Hz.

3. Why is the frequency for ionization of hydrogen important in chemistry?

The frequency for ionization of hydrogen is important in chemistry because it is a fundamental property that determines the reactivity and behavior of atoms and molecules. It also plays a crucial role in understanding chemical bonding and the formation of compounds.

4. How does the frequency for ionization of hydrogen change with different energy levels?

The frequency for ionization of hydrogen increases as the energy levels increase. This is due to the fact that electrons in higher energy levels are held less tightly by the nucleus and therefore require more energy to be removed.

5. Can the frequency for ionization of hydrogen be observed in nature?

Yes, the frequency for ionization of hydrogen can be observed in nature. It is present in various astronomical phenomena such as the absorption and emission lines of hydrogen in stars and the hydrogen spectrum seen in the Northern Lights.