Calculating the Frequency of a Car Horn Using the Doppler Effect

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Doppler shift equation to find the frequency emitted by two automobiles equipped with single-frequency horns. The beat frequency of 5.8 Hz heard when one car is at rest and the other is moving towards an observer at 13 m/s can be used to determine the difference in frequency caused by the Doppler shift. By equating this frequency difference to the beat frequency, the actual frequency emitted by the horns can be calculated. The conversation ends with the participant successfully using this method to score a perfect grade on their final exam.
Morgan89
Two automobiles are equipped with the same single-frequency horn. When one is at rest and the other is moving toward an observer at 13 m/s, a beat frequency of 5.8 Hz is heard. What is the frequency the horns emit? Assume T = 20°C.

I understand that this is related somehow to the doplar effect. I thought to use the equation to find the heard velocity when a sound is moving towards a listener which is...
Frequency Heard = Frequency Sound (Velocity of Sound/(Velocity of sound- velocity of moving sound)

This formula should work, but i am wondering if i can assume beat frequency is the actual frequency of the sound. I feel as though it is not. I need to know how to use this beat frequency to find the actual frequency of the sound. HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the beat frequency related to the difference of the frequencies (caused by the doppler shift) of the horns? This will allow you to find the difference in frequency caused by the Doppler shift and therefore the frequency the horns emit.

So if i say the frequency heard of the moving car is F of sound * (v/v-velocity of moving car) then i can just say that the difference between that value and the regular f of sound equals the 5.8 beat frequency right?

Yep, that's right:

[tex] f_{beat}=|f_{2}-f_{1}| [/tex]

And you know [tex]f_{2}[/tex] in terms of [tex]f_{1}[/tex] from the doppler shift equation; so put it all together, and you should get the right answer!

I got It! 100 on my Final! Whooo Hooo! I love you all!

Morgan89 said:
I got It! 100 on my Final! Whooo Hooo! I love you all!

Congrats, and well done! :biggrin:

1. What is the beat frequency of a car horn?

The beat frequency of a car horn is the difference between the two frequencies produced by the two horns. This difference creates an audible pulsation or "beat" sound.

2. How is the beat frequency of a car horn calculated?

The beat frequency of a car horn can be calculated by subtracting the lower frequency horn from the higher frequency horn. For example, if one horn produces a frequency of 400 Hz and the other produces a frequency of 500 Hz, the beat frequency would be 100 Hz.

3. Why do car horns have a beat frequency?

Car horns have a beat frequency because they are typically made up of two horns with slightly different frequencies. This is done to create a more noticeable and attention-grabbing sound.

4. Can the beat frequency of a car horn be changed?

Yes, the beat frequency of a car horn can be changed by adjusting the frequencies of the two horns. This can be done manually or automatically through the use of electronic circuits.

5. What is the purpose of having a beat frequency in a car horn?

The purpose of having a beat frequency in a car horn is to create a sound that is more noticeable and attention-grabbing. This is important for alerting other drivers or pedestrians in potentially dangerous situations.