Exploring Thermodynamics: Impact of Opening an Icebox in Isolated Space

In summary: Assuming that the fridge is in a standard room temperature, the exterior of the fridge will cool and the interior will warm up.
unica
if you open an icebox's door which is in a somewhat large,isolated space,the temperature of the space will become high or low?why?

Science news on Phys.org
This sounds very much like a homework question, in which case it's misposted.
Regardless, though, the question as asked is impossible to answer. There are far too many variables unaccounted for.

pls forgive me,im a new comer

No prob... just please take time to read the posting guidelines which you had to agree to in order to register here. Also note the huge 'stickies' at the top of the sub-forums that say "Don't Post Your Homework Questions Here".
Again, though, you have to provide a lot more information before an answer can be arrived at. What have you done about figuring it out so far?

Danger - it might not be homework, it might GW's new science advisor working on a solution to global warming.

check out the 0th law of thermodynamics

mgb_phys said:
Danger - it might not be homework, it might GW's new science advisor working on a solution to global warming.

As long as a side-effect is a better way to keep my beer cold, I'm all for it.

Anyway, unica, the question is somewhat poorly phrased, but do you have a potential answer you'd like us to comment on...?

Why do we need any variables.
According to the zeroth law of thermodynamics heat will be transferred from the surrounding to the system. Until the two that is the surrondings and the system reach equilibrium.

Why is there any need for variables to be supplied. I don't know. Please could you correct me if i am wrong.

i.mehrzad said:
According to the zeroth law of thermodynamics heat will be transferred from the surrounding to the system. Until the two that is the surrondings and the system reach equilibrium.

Why is there any need for variables to be supplied. I don't know. Please could you correct me if i am wrong.

this was my assumption. That it was purely a conceptual problem.

i.mehrzad said:

To start with, we don't know the initial temperatures of the interior and exterior of the refrigerator. It's entirely possible that the interior is actually warmer.

Danger said:
To start with, we don't know the initial temperatures of the interior and exterior of the refrigerator. It's entirely possible that the interior is actually warmer.

I'm operating under the assumption that the fridge is a normal, powered fridge, that gets opened in standard room-temperature conditions.

Basically, the space outside the fridge will cool, and the space inside the fridge will warm up.

Given that presumption, you're totally correct. I just prefer not to assume anything.

oh...,my original mean focuses on the quantity of heat between the icebox to surroundings and the icebox self-generated by cooling the inner space of it. which is larger between this two quantity of heat? and I am under the assumption that the fridge is a normal, powered fridge, that gets opened in standard room-temperature conditions.i think it should be refer to the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics

unica said:
oh...,my original mean focuses on the quantity of heat between the icebox to surroundings and the icebox self-generated by cooling the inner space of it. which is larger between this two quantity of heat? and I am under the assumption that the fridge is a normal, powered fridge, that gets opened in standard room-temperature conditions.i think it should be refer to the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics

Maybe you can tell us what you're trying to do. Is this a homework problem? What's the Author and Title of the book and maybe I can figure out what you're trying to ask better.

Danger said:
Given that presumption, you're totally correct. I just prefer not to assume anything.

I encourage you to!

Assumptions are helpful, as long as you declare them and remain aware they are assumptions. This is how theoretical science develops. It's ok to be wrong as long as you can acknowledge it.

this problem is based on the naive problem "if i open an icebox's door, can i cool down the temperature of my house?"

maybe i can illustrate this problem in this way:i only care about two factors in this problem,one is that the inner space of the icebox can transport heat to the surroundings so as to lower the temperature of surroundings,the other is that the icebox would generate heat due to lowering the temperature of the inner space.you can feel the heat on the side surface of the icebox, right?and this heat can heighten the temperature of surroundings.so eventually what is the temperature of the surroundings?does it a little higher or lower than the original one?

assumption:the fridge is a normal, powered fridge that gets opened in standard room-temperature conditions,and the room is isolated.

unica said:
this problem is based on the naive problem "if i open an icebox's door, can i cool down the temperature of my house?"

In that case, I'd say no. Not the overall average temperature of your house... it will just be transporting heat. Taking it from inside the fridge, and pumping it out the bottom or back of the fridge. Both of these points are inside your house, so the heat isn't going anywhere.

maybe i can illustrate this problem in this way:i only care about two factors in this problem,one is that the inner space of the icebox can transport heat to the surroundings so as to lower the temperature of surroundings,the other is that the icebox would generate heat due to lowering the temperature of the inner space.you can feel the heat on the side surface of the icebox, right?and this heat can heighten the temperature of surroundings.so eventually what is the temperature of the surroundings?does it a little higher or lower than the original one?

I imagine it would stay the same temperature in the house overall (given that the house is a sealed system), only the local temperatures at each radiator will have a local hot and a local cold temperature.

On the other hand, the cord that's powering the fridge's heat pump is suffering losses from entropy, so it's bringing energy in from the power station, so the heat could rise slightly, but that's probably nitpicking.

To put together some things people said:

When you first open the door, the fridge will warm and the house will cool. Then the fridge compressor will turn on to try to maintain the fridge temperature and the house will warm, quickly passing its starting temperature. The fridge uses electricity - all of that electricity is converted to heat and warms up the house.

Pythagorean said:
I encourage you to!

Assumptions are helpful, as long as you declare them and remain aware they are assumptions. This is how theoretical science develops. It's ok to be wrong as long as you can acknowledge it.

I cautiously make a great number of assumptions and follow hunches in most everyday situations; there isn't enough time in the day to analyze everything. On this site, however, that has backfired on me a few times. I've made perfectly logical, obvious assumptions about something, only to find out after wasting hours upon hours that the OP had something totally different in mind. Usually, it's a communications problem based upon either the age of the correspondent or a lack of English fluency, but sometimes it was just laziness on my part. Nowadays I just find it prudent to be sure of the facts first.

You initially said "you open an icebox's door". An icebox is not a refrigerator! An icebox is an insulated box containing ice and room for things you want to keep cool! Opening the door will cool the outside room and warm the inside of the icebox.

If you really meant a refrigerator, then I would make the reasonable assumptions that the refrigerator had been running for some time and the inside was cooler than the outside. Just opening the door will, again, reduce the temperature of the outside room slightly and increase the temperature inside.

A varient problem is this: take a refrigerator that is already at room temperature into a room, plug it in and turn it on (with the door open). what will happen to the temperature in the room?

HallsofIvy said:
A varient problem is this: take a refrigerator that is already at room temperature into a room, plug it in and turn it on (with the door open). what will happen to the temperature in the room?

I got this several times in interviews. In the end I said, the room gets colder.

Then I explained that with the fridge in a locked room wthout anyone paying the bills the electric would get cut off, the smell from the rotting food in the fridge would mean everyone else in the building would leave and since it was winter the room would get cold.

That's not what I meant was the reply - "I obviously meant a fridge in a perfectly insulated isolated room!"

Oh yes obviously.

Last edited:
Danger said:
Usually, it's a communications problem based upon either the age of the correspondent or a lack of English fluency

Yeah, this is why I assumed icebox = refrigerator I guess. Because most countries have long domesticated the word ice and the word box, but refrigerator is likely to be an imported word.

I must admit that I'm still pretty confused, heh. There's still a couple different ways to answer this.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and energy and their relationship to work and other forms of energy. It focuses on how energy is transferred and transformed between different systems and the laws that govern these processes.

2. How does opening an icebox affect the temperature in isolated space?

When an icebox is opened in an isolated space, the temperature of the space will decrease. This is because the icebox contains cold air, and when it is opened, the cold air escapes and mixes with the warmer air in the isolated space. This mixing causes the overall temperature to decrease.

3. What is the impact of opening an icebox in isolated space on the ice inside?

Opening an icebox in isolated space will cause the ice inside to melt at a faster rate. This is because the warmer air in the isolated space will transfer its heat to the ice, causing it to melt. The melting of the ice will also contribute to the decrease in temperature in the isolated space.

4. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern energy and its transformation. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that in any energy transfer or transformation, some energy will be lost as heat. The third law states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero temperature.

5. How does thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

Thermodynamics applies to many everyday phenomena, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and the functioning of engines. It helps us understand how energy is used and transformed in these processes and allows us to make more efficient use of energy. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology.