Calculating moments in MS Excel

In summary, the conversation is about using Excel to calculate skewness for a school project on statistics. The individual is using a standard estimator formula in Excel and is unsure if it is correct. They are also discussing the limitations of Excel in calculating moments. The summary also includes information from Excel help about the SKEW function and the equation for skewness.
loom91
Hi,

As part of a school project on statistics, I'm trying to calculate some parameters of collected data. I've the marks of 50 randomly sampled students in 6 subjects. I'm trying to calculate their skewness. Since the inbuilt Excel function to calculate skewness uses an estimator I've never seen, I'm using the standard estimator:

[tex]\frac {\sqrt{n (n-1)}}{n (n-2)} \frac {\Sigma_i (x_i - \bar{x})^3}{s^3}[/tex]

Though this is not unbiased, it's the best I have as I can not assume normality (which is creating a load of problems) because the population is heavily (-)vely skewed .

In Excel, I've written the following formula:

=(SQRT($A51*($A51-1))/(($A51-2)*$A51))*(SUM((D2:D51 - D53)^3)/POWER(D55,3))

where D2:D51 contains the data, $A51 is n, D53 is the mean and D55 is the sd.

Is this correct? It seems a pity Excel has no in-built functions to calculate moments. Also, one of the values is coming out to be -1.099, and I can't remember whether odd-order standardized moments can be less than -1 :redface:

Thanks for your help. This is really important or me.

Molu

Physics news on Phys.org
From Excel help:

SKEW(number1,number2,...)

Number1, number2 ... are 1 to 30 arguments for which you want to calculate skewness. You can also use a single array or a reference to an array instead of arguments separated by commas.

Remarks

Arguments can either be numbers or names, arrays, or references that contain numbers.
Logical values and text representations of numbers that you type directly into the list of arguments are counted.
If an array or reference argument contains text, logical values, or empty cells, those values are ignored; however, cells with the value zero are included.
Arguments that are error values or text that cannot be translated into numbers cause errors.
If there are fewer than three data points, or the sample standard deviation is zero, SKEW returns the #DIV/0! error value.
The equation for skewness is defined as:
[tex]\frac {n}{(n-1)(n-2)} \sum_i \left(\frac {x_i - \bar{x}}{s}\right)^3[/tex]
If you have to use your formula, all you have to do is to multiply Excel's result with [tex]\frac {\sqrt{n (n-1)}}{n (n-2)}\times \frac{(n-1)(n-2)}{n}. [/tex]

Last edited:

Hi Molu,

Calculating moments in Excel can be a bit tricky, but it looks like you have the right idea with your formula. The standard estimator you are using is a common method for calculating skewness when the population is heavily skewed, so it should give you a good estimate of the skewness for your data.

As for the negative value for one of the moments, this is possible for odd-order standardized moments. In fact, the skewness coefficient can range from -3 to +3, so a value of -1.099 is within the acceptable range.

It is unfortunate that Excel does not have built-in functions for calculating moments, but with your formula, you should be able to accurately calculate the skewness for your data. Keep in mind that this is just one measure of the distribution of your data, and it is always important to consider other measures and graphical representations to fully understand the characteristics of your data.

Best of luck with your project!

Sincerely,

1. How do I calculate a moment in MS Excel?

To calculate a moment in MS Excel, you can use the formula =MOMENT(data,order). The data parameter refers to the range of cells containing the data, and the order parameter refers to the order of the moment you want to calculate (e.g. 1 for mean, 2 for variance). Make sure to format the cells as numbers before using the formula.

2. Can I calculate moments for a specific subset of data in MS Excel?

Yes, you can calculate moments for a specific subset of data in MS Excel by using the =MOMENT(data,order,condition) formula. The condition parameter allows you to specify a criteria for the subset of data you want to calculate the moment for (e.g. age > 30). You can also use the =SUMPRODUCT() formula to calculate moments for multiple conditions.

3. How do I interpret the results of a moment calculation in MS Excel?

The results of a moment calculation in MS Excel will depend on the order of the moment you are calculating. For example, a 1st order moment (mean) will give you the average of the data, while a 2nd order moment (variance) will give you a measure of the spread of the data. It is important to understand the order of the moment you are calculating and what it represents in order to properly interpret the results.

4. Can I calculate multiple moments at once in MS Excel?

Yes, you can calculate multiple moments at once in MS Excel by using the =MOMENTS() formula. This formula allows you to calculate multiple moments (e.g. mean, variance, skewness) for a given range of data. It is important to format the cells as numbers before using this formula.

5. Is there a built-in function for calculating moments in MS Excel?

Yes, MS Excel has a built-in function called =MOMENT() for calculating moments. This function is part of the Analysis ToolPak add-in, which may need to be enabled in order to use it. You can access this function by going to the Data tab, clicking on Data Analysis, and selecting Moment from the list of tools.